Needledrops For Review

Needledrops For Review

Postby SubVet » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:42 pm

Hoping we can have a thread where fellow VPI forum members listen to our turntable systems. Now of course they cannot come to our house and listen to our full system, but by using a needledrop they can listen to our turntable/cartridge/phone preamp setup. Hopefully the recording process will not impart any significant artifacts.

Ideally this thread can be a place to request comments or ask question as some of us, like myself, may not have friends who know or care anything about the finer aspects of audio, much less turntables. This is not a thread about how to make the perfect digitally corrected recording. It is about the sound of the system without digital corrections.

In my case I am sometimes uncertain whether a noise I hear on a record is simply as aspect of the record itself or a deficiency in my system. I am also uncertain whether I am getting everything out of my system that I should be getting out of it.

I've included a link to a less than 90 second needledrop of "See The Sky About To Rain" from Neil Young's Massey Hall LP. This particular record is generally regarded as an excellent sounding LP.

It was recorded from my Aries 3/Soundsmith MIMC/Pass Labs XP-10 phono pre with the single ended output going directly into a Denon DN700R digital recorder (monitoring via headphones, line preamp volume at 0). The recording at 96khz/24bits was trimmed to size, converted to FLAC and normalized to maximize output at -1db. No manipulation for noise or clicks was done. It includes 5 seconds or so of the lead in groove which exhibits some noise.

You should be able to listen to the file directly in your browser or download it, if you prefer. I'd appreciate any comments about the sound generally. I expect the lead in groove noise is simply what's on the record, but if there is reason to believe otherwise, please let me know.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13t2brfi0kXVb1HVRnD4e3zZtZsAj_PDk/view

Thanks,
Ed
Soundsmith MIMC Star on VPI Aries 3 w/ Classic 3 Arm and SDS
Pass Labs XP-15, Pass Labs XP-10, Pass Labs X-150.8, Audio Sensibility cables and Harbeth C7ES-3 Speakers
Marantz SA8005 and Denon DN-700R recorder on the digital side
SubVet

Re: Needledrops For Review

Postby Mr_Putty » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:55 am

OK, First impression...noise I hear at 15 to 18 seconds suggests your record is not totally clean. However, the first few seconds sound very clean to me, I would be happy with that. I think I hear some distortion, but, have no suggestions for improvement unless fine tuning cart alignment sounds better to you. Overall, sounds very good on my headphones. Makes me wish I had been there so I could do a current memory check of the setup/recording. Would you mind telling us your record cleaning method for a subjective reference?
As you probably know, sometimes we just can’t get things as clean as we would like. Most of my 80s records are in that category.
Mr_Putty

Re: Needledrops For Review

Postby SubVet » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:13 am

Mr_Putty wrote:OK, First impression...noise I hear at 15 to 18 seconds suggests your record is not totally clean. However, the first few seconds sound very clean to me, I would be happy with that. I think I hear some distortion, but, have no suggestions for improvement unless fine tuning cart alignment sounds better to you. Overall, sounds very good on my headphones. Makes me wish I had been there so I could do a current memory check of the setup/recording. Would you mind telling us your record cleaning method for a subjective reference?
As you probably know, sometimes we just can’t get things as clean as we would like. Most of my 80s records are in that category.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and for your feedback.

I use a VPI 16.5 with a 2 or 3 step AI fluid method, depending if the record is new or used. This record was purchased in early 2015 when I first started with the RCM and didn't have a clearly established routine. So it may benefit from a re-clean.

Perhaps another needledrop would be useful.
Soundsmith MIMC Star on VPI Aries 3 w/ Classic 3 Arm and SDS
Pass Labs XP-15, Pass Labs XP-10, Pass Labs X-150.8, Audio Sensibility cables and Harbeth C7ES-3 Speakers
Marantz SA8005 and Denon DN-700R recorder on the digital side
SubVet

Return to General Audio