Koetsu Black Goldline 12" Fatboy

Koetsu Black Goldline 12" Fatboy

Postby 33+1third » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:54 pm

Anyone listening to a Koetsu Black Goldline 12" Fatboy, I have this as my current setup on my Avenger. 1.90 tracking loaded at 300 ohm thru a Chinook with a 4BSST, using 1.7i maggies. I find the sound to be very holographic with a nice wide soundstage and perfect instrument separation.

Is is it supposed to sound this good ?
"Music is my Time Machine"
33+1third

Re: Koetsu Black Goldline 12" Fatboy

Postby 930turbo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi ,

What type of FatBoy do you have the Unipivot or Gimbal? I’ve set up one a Gimbal for a friend’s HR-X w/ a Lyra Etna cartridge and it sounds sublime. Have not listened/ auditioned the Unipivot type .

Best regard,

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby 33+1third » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:44 pm

Hey T, my FB is Unipivot w Dual Pivot Kit, my understanding the Gimbal supposedly has a slight edge.

* Note when I purchased my FB the Gimbal version was not available.
33+1third

Postby 930turbo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:34 pm

Thanks for the reply . Before I heard the Gimbal FatBoy , the only VPI tonearm I was able to compare it to is w/ the JMW 12.7 Stainless Steel tonearm . All I can say is , it was one big jump in performance .

* have not listened / auditioned to a 3D nor the 3DR arms .

By next year hopefully I can upgrade to a FatBoy as well , might be inclined to get a Gimbal type as well since I plan to install my present Lyra Kleos . I still have my old Koetsu Rosewood std newly retipped by Soundsmith . Because of your experience w/ a Unipivot type tonearm ,!I might as well mount my Koetsu and try it out .
VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby Stringreen » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:01 pm

Do all Unipivot Fatboys come with a 2nd pivot.....if not, you should get one and install it within the hour.
Stringreen

Postby soundwatts » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:14 am

33+1third wrote:Anyone listening to a Koetsu Black Goldline 12" Fatboy, I have this as my current setup on my Avenger. 1.90 tracking loaded at 300 ohm thru a Chinook with a 4BSST, using 1.7i maggies. I find the sound to be very holographic with a nice wide soundstage and perfect instrument separation.

Is is it supposed to sound this good ?

I have a Black Goldline that finally gave out. Is it worth getting it rebuilt? I don't know if it's a match for my 3DR unipivot. I cant figure out the compliance due to it being a Japanese cartridge and the measurements are different and confusing. Have an Ortofon quintet black as a standin until I decide what to do. Miss the Koetsu. Anyone have experience with the Koetsu and unipivot?
Prime Signature
Ortofon Quintet Black
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum ii
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5
Bluesound Vault 2
CAL Icon Mk2 CD Player (no longer used after purchasing new Scout)
soundwatts

Postby 33+1third » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi soundwatts, I am tinkering with the same problem. Because my Black Goldline is quite old and it still stands head and shoulders above ANY cartridge I own or have ever owned. My idea is trading it in or selling "as is" and just moving up the KOETSU line.
33+1third

Postby Brf » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:27 pm

33+1third wrote:Hi soundwatts, I am tinkering with the same problem. Because my Black Goldline is quite old and it still stands head and shoulders above ANY cartridge I own or have ever owned. My idea is trading it in or selling "as is" and just moving up the KOETSU line.

As a former owner of the Black, I was really never enamoured with the sound and performance. As a current owner of a Koetsu Rosewood Signature, I can tell you from my experience, that is where the Koetsu line takes off. My vote, move up. As an aside, my Rosewood never played well with my 12-3DR tonearm, but I have high hopes for it with the Fatboy which I will give a spin over the holidays.

Btw, I have no experience with the stone bodied Koetsu
Brf
Site Admin

Postby 33+1third » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:11 pm

One more little 'caveat if ANYONE other than KOETSU re-tips/re-builds your cartridge ...... In fact it's (sorry) no longer a KOETSU :shock:

I mean to say it's KOETSU with a whatever

Melvin Ang
Koetsu S. E Asia
43 Jalan Haji Salam
Singapore 468831

angmelvin@hotmail.com
juki@leonidasltd.com

4 week turn-around
33+1third

Postby soundwatts » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:45 pm

Brf wrote:
33+1third wrote:Hi soundwatts, I am tinkering with the same problem. Because my Black Goldline is quite old and it still stands head and shoulders above ANY cartridge I own or have ever owned. My idea is trading it in or selling "as is" and just moving up the KOETSU line.

As a former owner of the Black, I was really never enamoured with the sound and performance. As a current owner of a Koetsu Rosewood Signature, I can tell you from my experience, that is where the Koetsu line takes off. My vote, move up. As an aside, my Rosewood never played well with my 12-3DR tonearm, but I have high hopes for it with the Fatboy which I will give a spin over the holidays.

Btw, I have no experience with the stone bodied Koetsu

BRF which generation black did you own? I have the newer one and when I go to vinyl engine and use the calculator it says not compatible with my VPI arm.

Would the cadenza bronze or black be a better investment?
Prime Signature
Ortofon Quintet Black
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum ii
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5
Bluesound Vault 2
CAL Icon Mk2 CD Player (no longer used after purchasing new Scout)
soundwatts

Next

Return to General Audio