just a new belt

just a new belt

Postby JimmyL » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:38 pm

After extensive mods, a new VAS Nova Special and very careful set-up, I decided I should throw a new belt on my TT as I couldn't remember how long the previous one was in play. Crazy stuff as it made a BIG difference! It seems to have "solidified" the bottom end somehow... Not sure how or why this would make a difference but, if you haven't replaced this recently, give it a try.
VPI HW19 mod’ed MK3 w/JMW10.5i, VAS HW Nova Special 0.4mV, Musical Paradise MP501 V2 Integrated Tube amp, MP Tube Phono Pre, MP Tube D1 DAC, Harbeth P3esr’s
JimmyL

Re: just a new belt

Postby Lewisranchmike » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:54 pm

Now try a silk belt and get blown away
VPI PRIME, VAS Nova Gold, TerraStone Footers, Symposium Seque Iso, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Periphery Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby suntea » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Lewisranchmike wrote:Now try a silk belt and get blown away

Where are they available?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3,Ortofon quint Brnz,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
suntea

Postby Mr_Putty » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:24 pm

There is no commercial source that I have heard of. Some on this forum have made their own belts and some are probably still testing and evaluating them. You really need a motor speed controller to evaluate the result. Silk thread can be found on EBay and Amazon. I found a very fine branded Dacron fishing line that I had good results with but I went back to two belts on my Prime because of the speed control issue. Use the search field in this forum and you will find more comments about silk belts.
Mr_Putty

Postby Brf » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:20 am

suntea wrote:

Suntea, unfortunately a silk belt will not work with a Classic turntable due to the motor being fixed in the plinth. Ime, you need an outboard motor in which you can move to make fine adjustments to belt tension.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby suntea » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:54 pm

Brf wrote:
suntea wrote:

Suntea, unfortunately a silk belt will not work with a Classic turntable due to the motor being fixed in the plinth. Ime, you need an outboard motor in which you can move to make fine adjustments to belt tension.

Thank you!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3,Ortofon quint Brnz,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
suntea

Postby Dizastical » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:50 pm

Where can I purchase a silk belt for my prime? Is there a manufacturer or anyone custom making them?
VPI Prime / SoundSmith Zephyr MK III / Phoenix Eagle PSU / Phoenix RoadRunner Tach / Musical Surroundings NOVA III / Musical Fidelity M6si / Furman Elite-15 PFi / Blue Jeans Cables / Martin Logan Motion 60XT / ProJect VC-S MK II
Dizastical

Return to General Audio