Manley Chinook Owners Tube talk.....

Re: Manley Chinook Owners Tube talk.....

Postby 33+1third » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:30 pm

So am I wrong, the best arrangement for tubes would be 12AX7 × 2 for gain and 12AU7 × 2 for output ?
"Music is my Time Machine"
33+1third

Postby Brf » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:21 pm

33+1third wrote:So am I wrong, the best arrangement for tubes would be 12AX7 × 2 for gain and 12AU7 × 2 for output ?

Go with the tube type that the manufacture recommends as they know the circuit best.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dorian » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:12 pm

Brf wrote:
Jprod wrote:When I contacted tubemonger he told me that the audible difference is in the gain stage. No need to put the amperex in the driver stage bc the sound difference would be negligible. He thought the driver stage needed to be upgraded from stock but I didn’t have to go all out. Btw I did not put a restriction on my spending limit so his advice was made with a “blank checkbook “

Interesting comment by tubemonger. I haven't looked at the Chinock's schematic but a driver tube is typically providing voltage gain to drive a high impedance load of the grid of the next tube. therefore, both tubes will have an impact on the sound. Are you sure that one of the pair of tubes is not configured as a cathode follower/input buffer as that would align with tubemonger's comment?

For my amp, Primaluna also recommend upgrading the gain tubes first. I haven’t tried it yet.

AE536E88-EDDC-493B-86BA-0535485F7111.png
AE536E88-EDDC-493B-86BA-0535485F7111.png (2.03 MiB) Viewed 660 times
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Jprod » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:12 pm

Brf wrote:
Jprod wrote:When I contacted tubemonger he told me that the audible difference is in the gain stage. No need to put the amperex in the driver stage bc the sound difference would be negligible. He thought the driver stage needed to be upgraded from stock but I didn’t have to go all out. Btw I did not put a restriction on my spending limit so his advice was made with a “blank checkbook “

Interesting comment by tubemonger. I haven't looked at the Chinock's schematic but a driver tube is typically providing voltage gain to drive a high impedance load of the grid of the next tube. therefore, both tubes will have an impact on the sound. Are you sure that one of the pair of tubes is not configured as a cathode follower/input buffer as that would align with tubemonger's comment?

I have no idea. He didn't say that the driver tube would have no impact ( hence his recommendation to change it ). He said I do not need to put the more expensive amperex on the driver stage. I was willing to spend money on a quad of amperexes but he dissuaded me. Gotta love a guy that doesn't want to take your money! It also is in line with what Kevin at Upscale Audio says in his video review of the original chinook. He says the gain stage is "where the rubber meets the road"

I could not be happier with the tube swap. It turned the manley from "meh" to awesome for me. It has quelled any thoughts of changing it for now. I was going to jump on the allnic h1201 closeout but I don't see the need to now. I am that happy with the new tubes!
Last edited by Jprod on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Jprod » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:14 pm

Brf wrote:
33+1third wrote:So am I wrong, the best arrangement for tubes would be 12AX7 × 2 for gain and 12AU7 × 2 for output ?

Go with the tube type that the manufacture recommends as they know the circuit best.

Agreed
from the chinook manual----- Three tube types that are electrically and plug-socket compatible with the 6922 dual triode are the 7308, 6DJ8 and the ECC88 / E88CC.
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Brf » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:26 am

Jprod wrote:
Brf wrote:

I have no idea. He didn't say that the driver tube would have no impact ( hence his recommendation to change it ). He said I do not need to put the more expensive amperex on the driver stage. I was willing to spend money on a quad of amperexes but he dissuaded me. Gotta love a guy that doesn't want to take your money! It also is in line with what Kevin at Upscale Audio says in his video review of the original chinook. He says the gain stage is "where the rubber meets the road"

I could not be happier with the tube swap. It turned the manley from "meh" to awesome for me. It has quelled any thoughts of changing it for now. I was going to jump on the allnic h1201 closeout but I don't see the need to now. I am that happy with the new tubes!

I just looked at the Chinooks manual and the second set of tubes are used in a White Follower configuration which is used to change the output impedance and does not provide any voltage gain. So yes, the tubes (pair) changed that will provide the most noticeable impact on sound will be tubes that provide the gain and not the tubes used for impedance management.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby 33+1third » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:12 am

Very interesting thread :D I installed 4 Ei 12AX7/ECC83 Yugoslavia Silver Plate O-Getters i received yesterday. I'll be very interested in the sound BTW ........ Using a koetsu black goldline cartridge with 12" FatBoy
33+1third

Postby Brf » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:58 am

33+1third wrote:Very interesting thread :D I installed 4 Ei 12AX7/ECC83 Yugoslavia Silver Plate O-Getters i received yesterday. I'll be very interested in the sound BTW ........ Using a koetsu black goldline cartridge with 12" FatBoy

Who suggested that 12 volt tubes should be used in a 6 volt circuit? This could over tax the circuit!
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Jprod » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:01 pm

33+1third wrote:Very interesting thread :D I installed 4 Ei 12AX7/ECC83 Yugoslavia Silver Plate O-Getters i received yesterday. I'll be very interested in the sound BTW ........ Using a koetsu black goldline cartridge with 12" FatBoy

That type of tube is not on the “approved list “ from Manley. I wouldn’t use them and would listen to BRF
Jprod

Postby 33+1third » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:04 pm

You are ALL exzactly correct !!! :oops: :oops: NO WORKIE !!! I'm glad I didn't burn something up !
33+1third

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio