Manley Chinook Owners Tube talk.....

Re: Manley Chinook Owners Tube talk.....

Postby 33+1third » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:34 pm

I am really enjoying my "Chinook" , yesterday I removed the mesh-cover and replaced the Upscale Audio "SE' tubes with 4 Amperex 6DJ8 ECC88 Holland ( a matched quad $24.99 on eB), I was amazed at the realistic tone improvement.

Between my slow growing cartridge collection and tube rolling I think I've found my forever phono preamp :D :D One more item let me show the thumb screws I found to sipmplify the mesh cover removal, I ordered a few extra. Note they do slightly protrude ...But for my application I don't stack equipment with mesh covers and tubes.

"Music is my Time Machine"
33+1third

Postby Jprod » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:51 pm

I just tube rolled by chinook. I liked the stock tubes but thought the top end was harsh especially with higher volumes. Also, for lack of a better word, everything sounded flat. I went with Amperex 6922 E88CC USA - MINT NOS NIB 1965-69 Gold Pin Large Halo Getter - Lewis and Kaufman Label for gain stage and Tungsram E88CC 6922 - MINT NOS NOVEMBER-1973 - Hungary for the driver stage

For me it made quite a noticeable difference. More holographic, beautiful top end without the harshness, great tight bass. Everthing sounds beautiful now to my ears and tastes

I’m gong to disagree with Gene’s earlier comments that tube rolling didn’t make much of a difference -I initially wasn’t enamored with the chinook. Now I’m very happy. I’m sure these will get even better as they burn in.

I would like to give a shout out to tubemonger for his help. Great recommendations without trying to upsell me
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby gene9p » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:59 pm

I never said that at all. Tube rolling does make a difference.. The standard EH is better than the SE tubes, my Amperex 7308 green labels are terrific for old jazz and vocals, and my Genalex Gold lions are my everyday favorite... :?: :?:
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Jprod » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:08 pm

Sorry. Maybe I misunderstood your prior posts. I thought I read a post where you put the stocks back. Maybe it was just with the se tubes. My apologies.

Anyway. I’m LOVING my new sound!! It’s almost like I purchased a new phono pre.
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby 33+1third » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:55 pm

gene9p wrote:The standard EH is better than the SE tubes

So far I agree with this :D
33+1third

Postby 33+1third » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:18 pm

Jprod wrote:gain stage and Tungsram E88CC 6922 - MINT NOS NOVEMBER-1973 - Hungary for the driver stage

Can I get some more input on the "matched quad vs gain stage pair and driver pair" on my previous tube amp I used different tubes for gain/driver stages.

Thank you all for your thoughts

Cheers,
Steve
33+1third

Postby Jprod » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:56 pm

When I contacted tubemonger he told me that the audible difference is in the gain stage. No need to put the amperex in the driver stage bc the sound difference would be negligible. He thought the driver stage needed to be upgraded from stock but I didn’t have to go all out. Btw I did not put a restriction on my spending limit so his advice was made with a “blank checkbook “
Jprod

Postby miner » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:27 pm

How do I contact tubemonger? I have a Chinook SE also.
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ort. Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 reg.; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Nakamichi ZX-7 cass.; Sf Electa Amator III; Sf Gravis II sub
miner

Postby Cat5plus » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:51 pm

tubemonger.com or google tubemonger. I can't find the phone # off hand however if you e mail them they will always call you back. GREAT COMPANY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Postby Brf » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:13 pm

Jprod wrote:When I contacted tubemonger he told me that the audible difference is in the gain stage. No need to put the amperex in the driver stage bc the sound difference would be negligible. He thought the driver stage needed to be upgraded from stock but I didn’t have to go all out. Btw I did not put a restriction on my spending limit so his advice was made with a “blank checkbook “

Interesting comment by tubemonger. I haven't looked at the Chinock's schematic but a driver tube is typically providing voltage gain to drive a high impedance load of the grid of the next tube. therefore, both tubes will have an impact on the sound. Are you sure that one of the pair of tubes is not configured as a cathode follower/input buffer as that would align with tubemonger's comment?
Brf
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio