Manley Chinook Owners Tube talk.....

Manley Chinook Owners Tube talk.....

Postby 33+1third » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:29 am

:D Last month I bought a Chinook SE, I have some tubes from my other earlier experiences with tube amps. I would like to know your experience and recommendations. I would prefer not to break the bank.

Cheers
-Steve
"Music is my Time Machine"
33+1third

Re: Manley Chinook Owners Tube talk.....

Postby soundwatts » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:40 am

33+1third wrote::D Last month I bought a Chinook SE, I have some tubes from my other earlier experiences with tube amps. I would like to know your experience and recommendations. I would prefer not to break the bank.

Cheers
-Steve

Steve

I found that I did not like the SE tubes. I obtained an original set of EH that the unit was voiced with from Manley and couldn't be happier. They have it all and they are inexpensive.

Gene9p has a thread going that is a few pages long on this subject on this forum.
Prime Signature
Soundsmith Paua mkii
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum ii
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5
Bluesound Vault 2
CAL Icon Mk2 CD Player (no longer used after purchasing new Scout)
soundwatts

Postby 33+1third » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:37 pm

soundwatts wrote:
33+1third wrote::D Last month I bought a Chinook SE, I have some tubes from my other earlier experiences with tube amps. I would like to know your experience and recommendations. I would prefer not to break the bank.

Cheers
-Steve

Steve

I found that I did not like the SE tubes. I obtained an original set of EH that the unit was voiced with from Manley and couldn't be happier. They have it all and they are inexpensive.

Gene9p has a thread going that is a few pages long on this subject on this forum.

Hi Soundwatts, yes I read thru that thread a few times. I was hoping to generate a little more tube roll conversation. Thanks for the input on the EH's I'll give Manley a call.

Cheers
-Steve
33+1third

Postby Jprod » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:51 pm

Hey steve
How do you like the chinook and what phono pre did you have before ?
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby MMMC » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:19 am

33+1third wrote:
soundwatts wrote:

Cheers
-Steve

Steve

Hi Soundwatts, yes I read thru that thread a few times. I was hoping to generate a little more tube roll conversation. Thanks for the input on the EH's I'll give Manley a call.

Cheers

-Steve

Steve,
I suggest you contact two people for tube rolling options for 6dj8, and 6922 tubes. Both are well respected and experienced in the world of tube sales. Brenden at Tube World, and Brent Jessie at Brent Jessie Recording. Both straight shooters and extremely knowledgeable. I have no relationship with these gentlemen other than being a satisfied past customer. My past experience is the Holland made 6dj8 were some of the best for me along with the 7308's but always remember that you get what you pay for. Both gentlemen may also have alternatives and can guide you based on your pocket.

Happy hunting!

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby adeep42 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:29 am

+1 re Brent Jesse.
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Eden Sound TerraCone Footers
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre & Mono-blocks
Martin Logan Summit X's
adeep42

Postby gene9p » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:08 am

The standard EH tubes sound way better than the SE tubes. Manley does a great job of testing and burning in the EH tubes and you can buy a set from them directly.My go to tube right now is a mixed quad of Genalex gold pin 6922's. I also have some Amperex 7308 green labels that I mess with . I can swap out all of these in My Chinook as well as my Vinnie Rossi LIO. If you are not into tube rolling, grab a set of the EH's from Manley, you will be extremely happy.
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .8v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
SNELL KIII monitors
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Jprod » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:01 pm

Cheers
-Steve

Do you have the se MK2 ? I believe they are now using different tubes on that unit than the old Se that Gene is referring to
Last edited by Jprod on Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby 33+1third » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:32 pm

I have the "SE" model sold by Upscale Audio, I have ordered a quad of EH tubes. I've pretty much explored the threads on this "VPI" forum and aware of the prefured tube vendors.

My curiosity is what have "you" used/experimented with and those thoughts. Do you always replace the "quad" or do you just swap out the gain stage?

Here's my current tube stock: (2) Ei Yugo smooth plate 12ax7, (2) TESLA E88 CC 32, (4) Amperex 6DJ8 ECC88 Holland, the (4) "SE" tubes graded and tested, cryo-treated Philips PCC88s. I did also buy some Genalex Platinum Matched Gold Lion NIB 12AX7 ECC83 B759 Tubes Gold Pins I recived those D.O.A and sent them back.

Thank You for your thoughts :D :D
33+1third

Postby gene9p » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:19 pm

replace all 4 tubes.Hope you ordered the EH from Manley.
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .8v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
SNELL KIII monitors
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Next

Return to General Audio