Elusive Disc Black Friday Sale

Re: Elusive Disc Black Friday Sale

Postby jonathanb » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:05 am

Dorian wrote:Anyone care to comment on the new 'ES DEMS Design' design of all the sounsmith carts on their site? I'm not a fan of the look.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing about cartridge design that really matters is the quality of sound, so it appears Soundsmith has nailed it. From what I've read about the sound of the new cartridges, they are a significant improvement over their older designs and can compete even better with top of the line offerings from other makers. So long as they sound great, I don't care what they look like. After all, I can't really see the cartridge from my listening seat.
Prime Signature #0009
10" 3DR/VdH RG-8
10" 3DR/Transfiguration Phoenix S
10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono
Aurorasound ViDA phono pre
Merrill Cara preamp
Gryphon M100 amps
Evolution Acoustics MicroOne speakers
Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby jonathanb » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:26 am

Jprod wrote:I have no doubt that the soundsmith carts are great. The one dealbreaker for me is waiting months for a retip when the time comes.

That's no dealbreaker for me. I always have a space cartridge. A Soundsmith retip is so much less expensive than the cost of buying a replacement of some other cartridge from a company that can't ( or won't) retip their cartridges.
Prime Signature #0009
10" 3DR/VdH RG-8
10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono
Merrill Cara preamp
Gryphon M100 amps
jonathanb

Postby MOON » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:50 am

Soundsmith did a retip for my Lyra Kloes and did a fantastic job with a fast turn around. I will most definately consider a Soundsmith cartridge in the future. I met Peter at an audio show once which was great.

He had a VPI hrx at the time playing a John Lennon album. It sounded fantastic. Although all seats in the room were filled you could hear a pin drop. Everyone was quiet. That was quite a few years back however I have never forgotten that moment.
Classic 4, 12"3dr,hrx pulley, 3 belts,dual pivot,sds,Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Postby Dorian » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:11 pm

jonathanb wrote:
Dorian wrote:Anyone care to comment on the new 'ES DEMS Design' design of all the sounsmith carts on their site? I'm not a fan of the look.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing about cartridge design that really matters is the quality of sound, so it appears Soundsmith has nailed it. From what I've read about the sound of the new cartridges, they are a significant improvement over their older designs and can compete even better with top of the line offerings from other makers. So long as they sound great, I don't care what they look like. After all, I can't really see the cartridge from my listening seat.

Fair point and agreed that sound is all that matters. I hadn't read any reviews of the new design. People already have them in hand then?
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby leftside » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:41 pm

My spare cart is my DAC :)

I sent my Benz Micro into Soundsmith in the summer and they did a very fine job.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Postby jonathanb » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Dorian wrote:Fair point and agreed that sound is all that matters. I hadn't read any reviews of the new design. People already have them in hand then?

They premiered in a few rooms at the Capitol Audio Fest.
Prime Signature #0009
10" 3DR/VdH RG-8
10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono
Merrill Cara preamp
Gryphon M100 amps
jonathanb

Postby Jprod » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:47 pm

So the newly designed carts are what much better thran the prior generation ? Worth the $800-900 price difference from the prior generation?
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Dorian » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:16 pm

I am really tempted to get one of these sale carts. Sussurro for $2500 seems like a great deal, of course I've never actually heard one! Has anyone heard one? I wonder if it will be a big step up from my MIMC Star?
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby jonathanb » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:29 pm

Dorian wrote:I am really tempted to get one of these sale carts. Sussurro for $2500 seems like a great deal, of course I've never actually heard one! Has anyone heard one? I wonder if it will be a big step up from my MIMC Star?

I'll suggest, yet again, that you'd do better spending that money to upgrade your speakers.
Prime Signature #0009
10" 3DR/VdH RG-8
10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono
Merrill Cara preamp
Gryphon M100 amps
jonathanb

Postby Dorian » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:21 pm

jonathanb wrote:
Dorian wrote:I am really tempted to get one of these sale carts. Sussurro for $2500 seems like a great deal, of course I've never actually heard one! Has anyone heard one? I wonder if it will be a big step up from my MIMC Star?

I'll suggest, yet again, that you'd do better spending that money to upgrade your speakers.

Yes you have said that more than once Jonathan, fair point. :lol:

But assuming I can trade-in my MIMC Star (basically brand new after SoundSmith repair) for, say, $1000, then I'm getting a Sussurro for $1500. I don't know what big step up in speakers I could take for that same outlay?
Dorian

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio