Matching carts with SUT options

Re: Matching carts with SUT options

Postby Bob » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:01 am

This is Bob from Bob's Devices. In addition to various step up ratios, there are wide variations in quality in step up transformers. Additionally, there are wide variations in quality of CineMag transformers. It is like saying that all vehicles made by general motors are the same. The Bob's Devices SKY SUT was rated in the A category of Stereophile's top 500 components along with several VPI turntables. You are welcome to call me or email me with any specific questions about matching. I will tell you that several folks with Chinook Phono stages are already using SKY SUTs' with them. My cell phone number is 910-612-8666
Bob
VPI Certified Dealer

Postby Dorian » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:43 am

edw wrote:Correct. Will let you know how it works with the VTPH-2a in a few weeks.

Great thanks, I didnt know you also had a VTPH-2a. Amazing phono stage.

I'm curious because I am currently running a high output cart into the MM inputs while my low output cart is being repaired. I much prefer the sound of the low output cart into the MC inputs, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to the carts vs the Herron's different inputs.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby jonathanb » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:27 pm

Dorian wrote:I'm curious because I am currently running a high output cart into the MM inputs while my low output cart is being repaired. I much prefer the sound of the low output cart into the MC inputs, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to the carts vs the Herron's different inputs.

I suspect that most of the difference is due to the cartridges: the MIMC Star is simply a better sounding cartridge than the Zephyr II.
Prime Signature #0009
10" 3DR/VdH RG-8
10" 3DR/Transfiguration Phoenix S
10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono
Aurorasound ViDA phono pre
Merrill Cara preamp
Gryphon M100 amps
Evolution Acoustics MicroOne speakers
Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby edw » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Dorian wrote:
edw wrote:Correct. Will let you know how it works with the VTPH-2a in a few weeks.

Great thanks, I didnt know you also had a VTPH-2a. Amazing phono stage.

I'm curious because I am currently running a high output cart into the MM inputs while my low output cart is being repaired. I much prefer the sound of the low output cart into the MC inputs, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to the carts vs the Herron's different inputs.

The Herron VTPH-2a will be replacing a Lehmann Audio Decade. :D

I would think the different cart and proper loading would make the most impact as compared to adding a SUT.

Also, as good as the Herron's FET stage before the tube stage for the MC input is, I would prefer using the Dyna XX2 into the SUT, bypassing the FET stage, and using the MM inputs directly into the tube stage. But I definitely will try it both ways once the Herron arrives.
edw

Postby Dorian » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:38 pm

jonathanb wrote:I suspect that most of the difference is due to the cartridges: the MIMC Star is simply a better sounding cartridge than the Zephyr II.

Good to know, thanks Jonathan.

edw wrote:Also, as good as the Herron's FET stage before the tube stage for the MC input is, I would prefer using the Dyna XX2 into the SUT, bypassing the FET stage, and using the MM inputs directly into the tube stage. But I definitely will try it both ways once the Herron arrives.

Looking forward to hearing the results of your comparison. I'm confident you will love the Herron.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby jmcox » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:59 pm

I'd like to give a thanks to Bob for the guidance he gave me in matching my carts to the right step up/impedences - he's helped me before and has proven to be very helpful and generous with his time (he's a great resource and knowledge base on the subject). . . . . In addition to building great gear !! Thanks Bob !!
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova Gold .25, VAS .30 MONO/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables, Furman Reference 15i
jmcox

Previous

Return to General Audio