Phoenix Eng Speed Control

Re: Phoenix Eng Speed Control

Postby Brf » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:08 pm

I read the response to mean that in addition to the RR, there will be only 2 new controllers offered. My interpretation is that the Falcon and Eagle will not be made, but that is based on how I read the release.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Packgrog » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:13 pm

It's unclear. Seems likely that your interpretation is correct, but that would be extremely unfortunate, and very limiting for SOTA.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby YoungDave » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:23 pm

I am really happy to read this. I have an Eagle and Roadrunner on my HR-X, and they are by far the best speed control system I have ever seen. I previously used the original VPI SDS box that came with my 2004 HR-X, and it provided good stability but of course had no RPM measurement function. The Eagle is a better stabilizer, and the feedback loop and RPM readout with an attached Roadrunner is truly outstanding.

I had occasion to discuss these products with Bill, the owner/inventor of Phoenix engineering, and I like him. I was so disappointed when he decided to retire, but was relieved to discover that he would continue supporting his customers. That is very classy! I am so glad the Phoenix line will continue...

VPI would have been wise to license-produce the Phoenix products, or purchase them for inclusion in the product line, instead of attempting to re-invent the idea with its ADS. That's my opinion, anyway.
2004 HRX, heavyweight platter, 1st gen 3d arm, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Dynavector XV-1s, Manley Steelhead, DEQX
YoungDave

Postby jmcox » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:41 pm

Sounds cool. I'm thinking that a Roadrunner might work well with my SDS . . . ?
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova Gold .25, VAS .30 MONO/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables, Furman Reference 15i
jmcox

Postby 10ovr » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:57 pm

I have a extra Roadrunner that I well hook up to my HW40DD when I get it,,That should be fun,,,,,
10ovr

Postby MOON » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:16 am

VPI is coming out with their signature ads 3rd quarter of next year. I am waiting for that.
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Postby Brf » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:39 am

jmcox wrote:Sounds cool. I'm thinking that a Roadrunner might work well with my SDS . . . ?

The Roadrunner will work on any turntable regardless of the motor or motor controller. What the RR won't do is provide loop feedback to the SDS to allow automated on the fly speed adjustments, for that your will need a Falcon or Eagle motor controller.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:25 pm

YoungDave wrote:I am really happy to read this. I have an Eagle and Roadrunner on my HR-X, and they are by far the best speed control system I have ever seen. I previously used the original VPI SDS box that came with my 2004 HR-X, and it provided good stability but of course had no RPM measurement function. The Eagle is a better stabilizer, and the feedback loop and RPM readout with an attached Roadrunner is truly outstanding.

I had occasion to discuss these products with Bill, the owner/inventor of Phoenix engineering, and I like him. I was so disappointed when he decided to retire, but was relieved to discover that he would continue supporting his customers. That is very classy! I am so glad the Phoenix line will continue...

Hey YougDave - Have you experienced both the ADS and the RoadRunner / Eagle in your system first hand? If yes, then your statement may have some merit (your judged opinion anyway) If not, what do you base your opinion on? VPI would have been wise to license-produce the Phoenix products, or purchase them for inclusion in the product line, instead of attempting to re-invent the idea with its ADS. That's my opinion, anyway.

The design of the ADS was specifically to eliminate digital artifacts from the power chain. It is 180 degree different approach. Different idea, different intent, different science, different results. Each addresses the power chain with certain criteria that may place more emphasis on one aspect or another. There are advocates for both and people will disagree and fight for one approach or the other. I owned an Eagle / Roadrunner combo and also the ADS. I ended up keeping the ADS and selling the Eagle/roadrunner. Either choice does not make the other wrong or right, better or worse. It is another flavor for consideration.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Johnny » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:09 pm

I wonder if SOTA will only be making these available for their tables or make them available as a standalone product to be used with other tables.
Johnny

Postby steveo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:32 pm

A few years ago, an audiophile buddy of mine, John Elison, got a Condor/3-phase motor prototype from Bill Carlin to try on his SOTA Millennium. He brought it down to my place and I tried it on my Prime (very nice, dead quiet). A while back, John contacted SOTA and asked them if they'd be interested in Bill's new motor/speed controller, and initially, they weren't. But there is a new guy (NOS guy? ;-)), Christian, at SOTA who contacted Bill, and so the happy result.

So I guess we need to thank John for this. BTW, even though John has a Millennium, every time he's down he looks at my Prime and says "Maybe I should get one.". ;-)
VPI Prime
Audio Technica ART-7
Pass Labs XP-17 phono stage
Cary Audio 360-SACD
Cary Audio SLI-80 F1 Direct-coupled
Thiel CS 2.2 Loudspeakers
Audioquest Colorado/Columbia interconnects
Radio Shack 12 gauge zip cord speaker cable
steveo

Previous

Return to General Audio