Phoenix Eng Speed Control

Phoenix Eng Speed Control

Postby 10ovr » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:03 am

Good news,,Phoenix is back,, (Better news yet! SOTA will be building and selling the out of production Phoenix Engineering speed controls! Phoenix speed controls (customer choice internal or external) will come stock with SOTA tables.)
10ovr

Re: Phoenix Eng Speed Control

Postby Orchids1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:49 am

Good news, indeed, even though I already have an Eagle psu and a tach. Just like it’s fabulous namesake, Phoenix Engineering arises from its own ashes, takes flight, and begins life anew. I always root for entrepreneurs who manage to work their way through tough setbacks and for their early-stage businesses. I support a few. Good for Phoenix. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby Dorian » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:52 am

Myles Astor reported this from Capital Audiofest: https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/titl ... post101064
Last edited by Dorian on Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Guss2 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:17 pm

Orchids1 wrote:Good news, indeed, even though I already have an Eagle psu and a tach. Just like it’s fabulous namesake, Phoenix Engineering arises from its own ashes, takes flight, and begins life anew. I always root for entrepreneurs who manage to work their way through tough setbacks and for their early-stage businesses. I support a few. Good for Phoenix. Rich

I'm rooting for SOTA in this scenario, as I've heard good things about their tables and have always admired them from a distance. It's always good for the consumer to have more choices, IMO.
Guss2

Postby Orchids1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:17 pm

Sota makes very good tables, but they have a pretty low profile. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby 10ovr » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:22 pm

Well be interesting to see what price point they come in at ....
10ovr

Postby edw » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:46 pm

edw

Postby Packgrog » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:20 pm

It is not yet clear yet whether or not SOTA will be building the old Falcon or Eagle. From what I can tell so far, they will make the old RoadRunner (which I'd like, even if my DIY tach does almost as well while being way uglier) as well as some variation on the 3-phase BLDC controller and motor that has seen much tinkering on the diyaudio boards, but with the feedback loop of the Falcon and Eagle that was lacking from those development prototypes. I do hope that they build the older power supply models, as well as potentially offer the new motor and controller design as a potential separate component for more DIY turntable designs. It might not serve to drive SOTA's own turntable sales as much, but I certainly think they could make decent money from sales of those items. Here's hoping.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Brf » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Packgrog wrote:It is not yet clear yet whether or not SOTA will be building the old Falcon or Eagle. From what I can tell so far, they will make the old RoadRunner (which I'd like, even if my DIY tach does almost as well while being way uglier) as well as some variation on the 3-phase BLDC controller and motor that has seen much tinkering on the diyaudio boards, but with the feedback loop of the Falcon and Eagle that was lacking from those development prototypes. I do hope that they build the older power supply models, as well as potentially offer the new motor and controller design as a potential separate component for more DIY turntable designs. It might not serve to drive SOTA's own turntable sales as much, but I certainly think they could make decent money from sales of those items. Here's hoping.

Not sure if this will answer all of your questions, but Bill of Phoenix Engineering posted this clarification:

Just to clarify: The RR tach is the same as produced previously. In addition to the RoadRunner, there are 2 new motor controllers that SOTA will be manufacturing:

Series VI uses the existing AC synch motor, but upgrades the motor drive to a digitally synthesized dual phase controller with two class AB output amps and adjustable phase. It is essentially a dual phase SDS; the RR tach is used for manually setting the speed (there is no feedback). There is an upgrade path from the series V and is compatible with the existing power supply/vacuum.

The Condor uses a 3 phase BLDC motor and all new controller (it is not the Eagle PSU, although it does work with the RR tach to provide closed loop feedback for automatic speed control). The Condor motor/controller provides higher torque, lower vibration and greater speed control than what is possible with an AC synch motor; the motor starts the platter at 5 RPM and ramps up to 33/45/78 RPM with one pulley and zero belt burn out. The motor provides ~3x the torque of a similarly sized AC synch motor, but is much quieter in operation. It provides a level of performance not previously available on tables in this price range.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Packgrog » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:01 pm

Yes, I'd seen that response, and it does not specify anything about whether the Falcon or Eagle will be built as well as the RoadRunner and new controllers, nor whether the Condor/BLDC design will somehow be made available as a standalone component. I'm too invested in my VPI to be interested in getting a SOTA turntable, but motor-related tweaks would certainly be of interest to me.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Next

Return to General Audio