RMAF 2018 Round Up

RMAF 2018 Round Up

Postby Myles B. Astor » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:32 pm

Best sound at RMAF, best new product introductions, audio eye candy awards and more!!!

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/titl ... und-around

Enjoy!
Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback
VPI Vanquish/Fatboy, SAT LM-12, Atlas SL, vdh Colibri Master Signature, Fuuga
Technics 1506/FM heads/Doshi V3.0 tapestage
Magico S5 M.2
cj ART 300 amplifiers and GAT S.2 preamp
Doshi Audio V3.0 phonostage
Myles B. Astor

Re: RMAF 2018 Round Up

Postby 930turbo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Thanks Myles for taking the time to post pictures from the RMAF
VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby Orchids1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:11 am

Miles, The third photo in is of a PBN turntable. I’ve not heard of the maker before. The table in the photo looks like a vintage table. However, PBN’s website shows a number of current models that are referred to as “rebuilds”, incorporating the mechanics of older tables, mostly Denon. The new models are breathtaking. Their thick plinths are made of beautiful woods, and their platters and other elements combine to give an overall sculptural quality to the pieces.

I wonder whether the PBN tables are primarily works of industrial art or whether they also sound as wonderful as they look. If you’ve had the chance to listen to one, I’d appreciate it if you could give us a brief account of the sonic qualities. Thanks. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby Myles B. Astor » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:55 am

Orchids1 wrote:Miles, The third photo in is of a PBN turntable. I’ve not heard of the maker before. The table in the photo looks like a vintage table. However, PBN’s website shows a number of current models that are referred to as “rebuilds”, incorporating the mechanics of older tables, mostly Denon. The new models are breathtaking. Their thick plinths are made of beautiful woods, and their platters and other elements combine to give an overall sculptural quality to the pieces.

I wonder whether the PBN tables are primarily works of industrial art or whether they also sound as wonderful as they look. If you’ve had the chance to listen to one, I’d appreciate it if you could give us a brief account of the sonic qualities. Thanks. Rich

Peter has been making speakers for 20+ years under the name PBN Audio (Think the original speakers were the Montana series). Peter later branched out into electronics and turntables. Until recently, Peter was buying parts from VPI for his custom tables; lately he has switched over to using a Denon Direct drive motor system for his tables. Yes they are serious tables and know Lyra just bought one and will install a SAT arm on it too. I really can’t speak to the table’s sound since have only heard his table once in a totally unfamiliar system.
Myles B. Astor, Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback
VPI Vanquish/Fatboy, SAT LM-12, Atlas SL, vdh Colibri Master Signature, Fuuga
Technics 1506/FM heads/Doshi V3.0 tapestage
Magico S5 M.2
cj ART 300 amplifiers and GAT S.2 preamp
Doshi Audio V3.0 phonostage
Myles B. Astor

Postby Orchids1 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:40 am

Thanks. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Return to General Audio