VPI Prime Signature

VPI Prime Signature

Postby soundwatts » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:38 pm

Recently acquired this table.
I have to say that I recently heard a Clearaudio and a Brinkmann that both cost significantly more. Both had higher end cartridges.

IMHO I believe that the VPI is superior to both. This is using an entry level cartridge (ortofon quintet black which I purchased after my koetsu died).

I was not sure about the Nordost wire at first, as there are some people on the forum that like the midrange on the VPI/Discovery type better. But after extensive breakin which is hard with such a small signal the Nordost is vastly superior.

Top to bottom this turntable just sings and extracts more detail than any other I have heard to date. I am in this hobby over 40 years.

For many this will be the EOL table. I can't imagine getting better bass definition, bottom end extention, sweeter vocals, delicate and sustained cymbal brushes, dimentionality and width and depth of Soundstage as this rig. Maybe when I eventually upgrade the cartridge.

But this proves that the base turntable design is a large contributor to the sound. I know some will say a cartridge upgrade or other upgrade will yield greater benefit.

I guess having the foundation is equally as important.

Thank you Mat for designing a reasonably priced product for the masses.
Prime Signature
Ortofon Quintet Black
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum ii
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5
Bluesound Vault 2
CAL Icon Mk2 CD Player (no longer used after purchasing new Scout)
soundwatts

Re: VPI Prime Signature

Postby Pythonman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:58 pm

Great review! I feel precisely the same about my new Prime. So much so that after I bought it I redid nearly my entire system the best I could to do it justice.

ImageUntitled by Rick S., on Flickr
VPI Prime, Hana SH, Parasound A21, Parasound P5, Parasound JC3+, Athena AS F2s
Pythonman

Postby leftside » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:55 pm

soundwatts wrote:Recently acquired this table.
For many this will be the EOL table.

Congrats. For me it is an EOL table.

I found that by using the dual-pivot it was easier to setup.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Postby Dorian » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:43 pm

Congratulations! You mention that the Nordost wire is vastly superior to the standard Discovery wire. Did you have another VPI table before the Prime Sig?
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby soundwatts » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:17 pm

Dorian wrote:Congratulations! You mention that the Nordost wire is vastly superior to the standard Discovery wire. Did you have another VPI table before the Prime Sig?

@dorian I had the VPI Prime Super Scout.

Great table the midrange was present and liquid with the discovery/VPI wire. When I first got the Prime Signature was not sure at first, voices sounded more detailed but with some grain. After about 100 hours or so the graininess went away and the voices are still detailed and transparent. The discovery/VPI was hair less transparent which gives the illusion of being smoother. Overall the Nordost is more extended on the top end and bottom and more dynamic as well.
Prime Signature
Ortofon Quintet Black
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum ii
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5
Bluesound Vault 2
CAL Icon Mk2 CD Player (no longer used after purchasing new Scout)
soundwatts

Postby Dorian » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:03 am

soundwatts wrote:
Dorian wrote:Congratulations! You mention that the Nordost wire is vastly superior to the standard Discovery wire. Did you have another VPI table before the Prime Sig?

@dorian I had the VPI Prime Super Scout.

Great table the midrange was present and liquid with the discovery/VPI wire. When I first got the Prime Signature was not sure at first, voices sounded more detailed but with some grain. After about 100 hours or so the graininess went away and the voices are still detailed and transparent. The discovery/VPI was hair less transparent which gives the illusion of being smoother. Overall the Nordost is more extended on the top end and bottom and more dynamic as well.

Cool, thanks. I am on the fence about upgrading my Prime to the Signature. I think that $2K+ might be better spent on a cart upgrade. TBD.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby jonathanb » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:57 am

Dorian wrote:Cool, thanks. I am on the fence about upgrading my Prime to the Signature. I think that $2K+ might be better spent on a cart upgrade. TBD.

I suggest that you upgrade your speakers before replacing either your turntable or cartridge.
jonathanb

Postby Dorian » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:58 am

jonathanb wrote:I suggest that you upgrade your speakers before replacing either your turntable or cartridge.

Hey Jonathan, thanks. I know we've discussed this before, but I have new information now, namely the experience of having the cart you loaned me in the system for the past week! I have noticed a definite reduction in sound quality compared to my regular cart (no offense intended of course), in that the sound is flatter, duller, less nuanced and altogether less musical. Perhaps that's simply due to the loaner being high output and my regular being low output? I'm not sure, but I hear a notable difference, which makes me think I may hear a similar difference for the better with a higher end cart. I am very happy with the LS50s and am hesitant to switch them out.

Having said all this my wife won't be allowing any upgrades any time soon.... :D
Dorian

Return to General Audio