SugarCube Follow up Report

Re: SugarCube Follow up Report

Postby Packgrog » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:21 am

I have heard recordings from an SC-2 and been very impressed. My branch of the hobby generally is about trying to make the most accurate digital copies possible for listening away from home. The SC-2 has both excellent analog-to-digital conversion as well as tunable declicking settings. The improvement of the SC-2 over other more manual methods were immediately noticeable.

But even with a device as effective as this, you will always be best served by getting your vinyl as clean as possible. The cleaner the vinyl, the more you can turn down the declicking setting, and the less alternation occurs to the original sound. I do my best to clean my own records to limit any urge to perform declicking on my own recordings, since it's tedious and tends to alter the overall sound. The SC-2 eliminates the tedium, but it's still going to be preferable to limit your use of that feature as much as possible. If I could afford one, you better believe I'd be all over it, but I can't even afford a replacement modest cartridge right now. :P
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Re: SugarCube Follow up Report

Postby Mr_Putty » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:09 am

I just bought a “cheap” 60-120X LED lighted pocket microscope by Carson from Amazon. Called a Microbriteplus I would say the optics are not great but usable. It’s pretty neat to actually see a record groove and how clean a record really is or is not. In one case I could actually see some minor scratches on the side of a groove wall. No clue if they are from my setup or the previous owner. A set of four was only about $34. Could be a fun gift for kids. I can see a stylus shape with it but it needs a very steady support to focus if used this way. Otherwise it’s handy and sets upright when in use.
Edit:
I should mention that the base is not cushioned or really very smooth. So, be extra careful if viewing a record as it will make scratches if moved. I improved mine with polishing compound, but you might want to use 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper instead.
Mr_Putty

Previous

Return to General Audio