Amazonon Echo/Dot and Sonos Connect

Amazonon Echo/Dot and Sonos Connect

Postby Orchids1 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:49 pm

Does anyone know if you can control a Sonos Connect (and through it your existing audio system) via an Amazon Echo or Dot. It seems like it should be possible, unless it isn’t. Thanks. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Re: Amazonon Echo/Dot and Sonos Connect

Postby hlaudio » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:54 pm

Per Sonos website...yes you can!
hlaudio

Postby Brf » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:44 am

I use Alexa and Sonos at the cottage. Earlier Sonos components do not integrate with Alexa, but the newer ones do. My Sonos experience is limited to the Play 5 series.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Orchids1 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:29 am

Thank you both.
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby Orchids1 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:39 am

Set up now, and works fine. The Echo Dot threw me a bit of a curve though. After installation, a song would start to stream and then intermittently break up or stop playing altogether. It took me a while to realize that there was nothing wrong with the installation. The problem was the Echo’s WiFi connection. Evidently, Echos do not receive WiFi signals as well as iPads, cell phones, and other smart devices. A WiFi range extender fixed the problem.

It actually sounds quite good. I bypassed the Connect’s internal dac, using its digital output to run through my Vega dac to my line preamp. I recommend this connection to anyone who uses a Connect or any of Amazon’s other, similar products. It makes a big improvement in sound. Rich
Orchids1

Return to General Audio