How much power?? ...Dynaudio Contour 30's

Re: How much power?? ...Dynaudio Contour 30's

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:11 am

FWIW, I’ve had many tube amps, starting with MC240s back in the day and moving on to Conrad Johnson’s lesser powered offerings over the years. I eventually wrongly decided that tubes can’t control bass effectively and I abandoned tubes in favor of CJ and Krell solid state amps in the nominal 250 wpc range.

I recently acquired a pair of CJ LP275M monoblocks. They proved me wrong. They handle bass beautifully. The problem was the power, not the tubes.

Incidentally, I’m pretty sure that when CJ released the LP275M, it was powered by KT88s.
Jeff Fischel is now recommending KT120s. It’s not much of a power before clipping increase (maybe 5%), but he says the KT120s sound better.
Peer Gynt

Postby Dorian » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:56 am

There's an interesting conversation going on about power needs in the comments section of Fremer's recent Stereophile review of the Moon by Simaudio 888 Monoblocks. These can deliver 888W RMS into 8 ohms or 1776W into 4 ohms. The conversation focuses on peak needs versus continuous power needs.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Peer Gynt » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:40 am

I don’t know the amp ... but there is no doubt that humongous power supplies and caps allow large instaneous power levels. That’s always been the back story on why heavy amps tend to be better than lighter amps.

Back in the early days of Hi Fi (before the stereo era), amps were often rated for their “music power” capability. Music power ratings were based on the typical transient music loads rather than continuous test signal inputs.

Because there is no standard music signal, and also there are no standard loads, standard continuous inputs and loads were developed and, literally became “the standard.” They're not really representative of how amps perform for real music and real loads.

From my experience, heavy amps usually sound better than light amps. But there are exceptions. Once broken in, my ears told me that my 55 pound CJ MF2550 SE could drive my ML Theos as well as my 192 pounds worth of biamped Krells.

And I certainly agree with folks who say that specs don’t tell the story as well as the ears.
Peer Gynt

Previous

Return to General Audio