Do I Need Room Treatments?

Re: Do I Need Room Treatments?

Postby hlaudio » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:58 pm

Hey there Dorian!?

Inquiring minds want to know...
Did you try the various tests suggested?
Did you determine a need room treatment?
Or are you happy with the setup?

Kind regards,
Harold
hlaudio

Postby Dorian » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:25 pm

Hi Harold (and others)

I plan on taking measurements using the REW software that Jim recommended. I bought the USB microphone that they recommend, I just haven't found the time yet. I might actually get a chance tomorrow; will report back once I do.

Thanks again for everyone's great advice.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Mr_Putty » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:32 am

One problem I have not solved is the annoying noise from my A/C. It’s the rush of air circulating causing the noise, and is very apparent at the air return, right behind my system. I am stuck with this arrangement. In the past I have tried a stiff one and a half inch thick fiberglass panel just behind the intake grill, and later, coating the return plenum before the primary fan with the same fiberglass. There was some improvement but not enough to neutralize the noise. I have since opened a closet wall to the plenum for second return area with little improvement. My next option may be to reduce the fan speed. I know this can be done, but may affect the efficiency of my A/C. Anyone else had this problem and have suggestions? My fan speed for heating is slower and less annoying.
Mr_Putty

Postby hlaudio » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:14 pm

Hello Mr. Putty!

You say you have wind noise. Correct? Not mechanical?

The best wind noise kill is done with two or more 90degree elbows in the duct work. Not possible now...then try a “transfer grille silencer”. Search Ruskin.com. They have return air grille silencers. You may need to enlarge the grille area to facilitate installation. You might also consider relocating the return just outside the listening room and vent a common wall or door for air return.

If you have mechanical noise, try Dynamat Xtreme. It’s used for deading in cars. Is applied to the exterior of the duct work. Can be found at Walmart.

As for speed adjustment, you should contact HVAC guy.

Best regards,
Harold
hlaudio

Postby Peer Gynt » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:38 am

The only way to cut real wind noise down is to reduce the air velocity. To maintain the necessary air flow, you have to upsize the ducts. Your HVAC system’s heating or cooling capability, and its efficiency will be affected if you don’t maintain the necessary air flow (typically cubic feet per minute, or CFM, in the US).

An effective and inexpensive solution is to run the HVAC unit a few degrees beyond your usual setting. When the target temp is achieved, turn it off. Listen to your records. And when you’re done, turn it back on and set it to the normal nonlistening set point. The room temp will coast a bit past your normal set point, but you may enjoy the quiet more than you’ll dislike the temperature change. (Diana Krall likes it when you “turn up the quiet.” )

If you’ve got decent insulation, windows, and doors, and if you listen to 4 to 6 sides in a typical session, this can work pretty well.

I guess that it also helps if you’ve got multiple zones so that you’re not shutting down HVAC for the whole house.

Maybe you could put the listening area on its own zone.

How much HVAC noise bothers me depends on how intently I’m trying to listen. If I’m evaluating recordings or gear, I can’t tolerate it.

In one system that I had at one time, I had a noisy return line. I relocated it to the hallway, and replaced the rigid walled, rectangular metal duct with a large, flexible, insulated cylindrical duct. This helped a lot, but did not totally eliminate the noise.
Last edited by Peer Gynt on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peer Gynt

Postby Mr_Putty » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks for all the comments. I already use thermostat management. This can be a challenge with the Texas heat! I understand the air flow requirement mentioned. My dad was an electrical engineer and manager of an industrial A/C heating service company during his Prime. Eventually I will find a solution that is acceptable. New duct work may be the best solution, with a slower fan speed.
Mr_Putty

Postby Golear » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:14 pm

So how did the measurements go? Did REW show where a room needed improvements?
Golear

Previous

Return to General Audio