Do I Need Room Treatments?

Do I Need Room Treatments?

Postby Dorian » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:50 pm

Hello all

The whole subject of room treatments is completely foreign to me. I am curious to know if I would benefit from them or not. My current system sounds great. I think the frequency response sounds ideal; listening to albums that I know intimately, they sound how I would expect them to. FWIW I listen near-field, assuming that this definition is accurate.

How would I know if I would benefit from room treatments?

Thanks.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Re: Do I Need Room Treatments?

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:47 pm

No. Room dimensions are more important.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby JimTimP » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:01 pm

Get yourself a copy of REW and a USB calibrated mic and test your room. You will need to read up on how to do it, but there is LOTS of good info on the web.

I got my calibrated mic from Dayton Audio. Software here: https://www.roomeqwizard.com/ (astoundingly, this software is free!)

It's easier than you think, gives you gobs of data for a few second test, and you'll have a new tool in your kit to amaze friends and relatives. Ok, I went a bit far on that last one ;).

But it does give you a full and easily interpreted view into the sonics of the room itself.

Besides, it's fun.

If the data starts to show early reflections, then some sidewall acoustic absorbers are warranted (I like ATS and Acoutimac panels as they are decor and significant other friendly). I'm also not 100% convinced of the effectiveness of open cell foam panels. I also located a pair of GIK Acoustic bass traps behind my speakers. It improved bass response significantly. GIK also has panels, and may be worth a look as well. I got most of my stuff off Amazon. GIK came from them directly.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby SubVet » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:54 pm

I have a very small room (9 x 14 with 7 foot ceilings). I most certainly needed treatments. JimTimP gave some great info. I would expect that most rooms we use for our music systems will have reflections that can be improved by treatments. In my case first reflections from the side walls were particularly bad. I ended up with some 244 bass traps for the side reflections and some tri-trap corner bass traps from Gik Acoustics. I like the Gik Acoustics product but there are many choices including DIY.
Soundsmith MIMC Star on VPI Aries 3 w/ Classic 3 Arm and SDS
Pass Labs XP-15, Pass Labs XP-10, Pass Labs X-150.8, Audio Sensibility cables and Harbeth C7ES-3 Speakers
Marantz SA8005 and Denon DN-700R recorder on the digital side
SubVet

Postby Mr_Putty » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:39 pm

If you search YouTube for say “stereo room acoustics” or “recording studio acoustics”, you should find some useful explanations of speaker and microphone placement and room reflections and how to tune them. I don’t have enough room for the usual audio traps so, adjusting my speaker placement is also limited, but important. Breaking up side wall reflections with a bookshelf, for example, is a good start. I have a vaulted ceiling which I think helps a lot.
Mr_Putty

Postby Dorian » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:59 am

Thanks guys this is good info. Jim, I will have to make some time to run that analysis software. Thanks for the info.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby hlaudio » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:17 pm

Hey Dorian!

First off...I think you have an excellent speaker for near field setup. And as I recall, you have them on stands. Great! Now to your question regarding room treatment...your answer is in your opening dialogue. If you are in the near field environment the room has no influence. Don’t add any treatment to your room.

Generally in the studio, near field is under 2.5meters (8ft) between L&R speakers. The idea behind near field setup is to eliminate the room all together. So you setup a true 8ft triangle. But, if the distance from right ear to right speaker is greater then 8ft you may have gone outside the realm of near field. Then the room comes into play.

Let me suggest a test. Since you have speakers on stands this should be fairly easy. We’re gonna start real small. Move the speakers into a 4ft triangle based on your current seating position. Now listen to a very familiar song. Now move the speakers out on the triangle to 5ft. Do you hear any difference? If not, move out to 6ft...keep going until you hear a tonal difference (room effects). Now move the speakers in till you don’t hear the room. That’s your biggest near field setup.

If you can’t get to your current speaker placement, then you don’t have a proper near field setup.

Just remember, you stated that your system sounds great. Sometimes best to leave alone and enjoy the music.

All the best,
Harold
hlaudio

Postby TomD » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:38 am

hlaudio wrote:Hey Dorian!

Just remember, you stated that your system sounds great. Sometimes best to leave alone and enjoy the music.

All the best,
Harold

Best advice I have seen on an audio forum in a long time.

Tom
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Postby Golear » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:10 pm

Dorian wrote:
How would I know if I would benefit from room treatments?

Thanks.

Here's a test. It's based on guidelines on speaker placement from Wilson Audio. It's mentioned in their owners manual. I think they call it "clap echo", and shows the room acoustics in the midrange.

In your sitting position, make an "impulse" sound e.g. clap your hands or snap your fingers or hit a snare drum or operate the clapper board that are used in movies. There will be a primary sound, a reverb/echo of the main sound, and then a decay of the reverb/echo. In some rooms, the reverb/echo may be so loud that it masks the primary sound. In some rooms, it can cause a pulsing, ringing sound all of its own. And in some rooms, it can go on for a long time.

One wants to hear the primary sound, together with a small amount of reverb/echo, which dies down quickly. I think the RT60 measurement checks the time taken for the reverb/echo to go down -60dB. But it does not check the relationship of the primary sound with the reverb/echo. Some believe that a very short RT60 is good, and it probably is, for hotel lobbies, airports, etc. But for hi-fi rooms, some believe a certain amount of reverb/echo is desirable.

After you've done the test in your room, then go to the park or the middle of a field and repeat the test. This will give you a good idea of the primary sound without reverb/echo. But it will sound weird - so one does want to have a little bit of reverb/echo in the sound room.
Golear

Postby mreeter » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:55 am

So many factors in the room that make a difference in the sound. Tile/Hardwood floors, area rugs, soft furniture, throw pillows, window coverings, etc.

Your room may already have all the 'Treatments' it needs, with the style in which it is decorated. I prefer an Acoustically 'Dead' space, so I have probably gone a little overboard with Treatments, but the room is Studio Quite and the Panels add a little color to the room as well.

IMG_2473.JPG
IMG_2473.JPG (102.84 KiB) Viewed 611 times
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter