Solid Copper Bus Service panel

Solid Copper Bus Service panel

Postby Cat5plus » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:58 pm

I had the need to upgrade my service panel from 150A to 200A Decided to go with the Siemens P4080B1200ACU 200 An all copper bus and Nickle/copper circuit breakers. Using #10 stranded copper wire with 2 (two) 20 amp circuits. (Both on the same side of the bus.) In addition I talked Edison into using a copper drop direct from the transformer to the house at no charge to me. The big question is Did this improve things? For starters I no longer have any measureable DC Voltage on the line, so I can eliminate the PS Audio hum buster to my power amplifier. Second and most important Did it improve the overall sound? It most certainly did ! The most obvious being a deeper and wider sound stage. I have only had perhaps 2-3 hours to audition the change and will report any additional noticeable improvements for anyone who is interested. The bottom line is that if you need to upgrade anyway Go the extra mile and you should NOT be disappointed. The entire upgrade to the copper bus panel , the breakers, larger size wire, and hospital grade receptacles was only about 150.00 in parts over the standard.
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Re: Solid Copper Bus Service panel

Postby JimTimP » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:12 pm

I've always said, you can spend a zillion bucks on a power cord, a Kilobuck on an outlet, but wire it to the standard Romex in the wall, and a cheapo circuit breaker in the box, and you've only achieved an empty wallet. But there are those who swear it makes a difference! (Placebo effect no doubt)

Congrats on the improvements and on doing it right.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby smashatoms » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:25 pm

Dang. We upgraded our panel when we bought the house in January. I didn’t occur to me that there were options to be had here.

Smash
Prime/Audio Musikraft-Denon DL-103/Altec Peerless 4722 SUT
Phoenix Eagle/SS Periphery Ring & Weight
George Wright WPL-20 phono/pre
George Wright AU-15 monos (PP-2A3)
Holo Audio Spring DAC L3
Rogers LS3/5A & LSB1, Fostex FE166ES-R in BLH
smashatoms

Postby Kavahead » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:29 pm

Interesting! I'm building a new home and had my electrician run 6 dedicated 10/2 NM-B copper lines with 20 amp arc fault breakers to my "entertainment" wall on it's own circuit. Plan is to use PS Audio Power Port outlets along with my PS Audio Power Plant. I'm probably overdoing it... lol.
Manley Labs Stingray Amp
VPI Prime #28, Soundsmith Aida, SDS, Periph ring
Decware ZP3 Phono
Simaudio Moon CD5.3
Zu Audio Druid, Zu Audio Presense Loudspeakers
Zu Audio cable, interconnects
Glow Amp One, Sennheiser HD700
PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant
Kavahead

Postby Cat5plus » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:57 pm

Good choice although I would watch those "Arc Fault breakers" I build homes for a living and have had nothing but trouble with arc fault breakers. I would NEVER use them! Although currently required by most electrical codes for new construction I would definitely seek out other options if possible. I do not know where you live and what electrical code they follow, but in Los Angeles County you are allowed to have dedicated branch circuits that DO NOT require arc fault breakers.
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Postby tony22 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Cat5plus wrote:Good choice although I would watch those "Arc Fault breakers" I build homes for a living and have had nothing but trouble with arc fault breakers. I would NEVER use them! Although currently required by most electrical codes for new construction I would definitely seek out other options if possible. I do not know where you live and what electrical code they follow, but in Los Angeles County you are allowed to have dedicated branch circuits that DO NOT require arc fault breakers.

Cat5plus, if possible, what options would you consider?
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Return to General Audio