So This Happened...

So This Happened...

Postby smashatoms » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:02 am

I've been looking to buy a quad of RCA 2A3s for my Wright Monoblocks, and was having trouble finding some that pass muster on a curve tracer. I mentioned this to a friend and former audio service tech. His response was, "I have a few. Why don't you drop by?" This is what I came home with:

IMG_2925.jpg
IMG_2925.jpg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 920 times

Once the matching is done, I get the pick of the litter for my very own! These are dual black plates (except the one) and all are pristine NOS!

Oh happy day!
Smash
Prime/Audio Musikraft-Denon DL-103/Altec Peerless 4722 SUT
Phoenix Eagle/SS Periphery Ring & Weight
George Wright WPL-20 phono/pre
George Wright AU-15 monos (PP-2A3)
Holo Audio Spring DAC L3
Rogers LS3/5A & LSB1, Fostex FE166ES-R in BLH
smashatoms

Re: So This Happened...

Postby DeeCee » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:46 am

Cool!

With a moniker like "smashatoms" I assume you must work with particle physics or something (unless it's a hobby and you have a particle accelerator in your basement... the neighbors must complain of the blackouts in your neighborhood.)

So I guess you play with vacuums at work AND at home!

"Vacuums suck!" :lol:

(Ok, technically, *partial* vacuums suck)
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Postby Peer Gynt » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:34 pm

smashatoms wrote:I've been looking to buy a quad of RCA 2A3s for my Wright Monoblocks ...

Once the matching is done, I get the pick of the litter for my very own! These are dual black plates (except the one) and all are pristine NOS!

Oh happy day!
Smash

Congratulations! Looks like fun.
Peer Gynt

Postby smashatoms » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:31 am

DeeCee wrote:With a moniker like "smashatoms" I assume you must work with particle physics or something (unless it's a hobby and you have a particle accelerator in your basement... the neighbors must complain of the blackouts in your neighborhood.)

Not exactly. My son is the physicist in the family (majoring, ATM). Smashadams is the name of a character from a cartoon I used to watch with the kids when they were little.

As for vacuum, hopefully, it will stay in the bottle where it belongs. It's been there for 70 years for most of these so we're probably good!

Cheers,
Keith
Holo Audio Spring DAC L3
smashatoms

Postby smashatoms » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:32 am

Peer Gynt wrote:
smashatoms wrote:I've been looking to buy a quad of RCA 2A3s for my Wright Monoblocks ...

Oh happy day!
Smash

Congratulations! Looks like fun.

We're doing the curve tracing tomorrow night. Can't wait!
Holo Audio Spring DAC L3
smashatoms

Postby DeeCee » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:43 pm

smashatoms wrote:
DeeCee wrote:With a moniker like "smashatoms" I assume you must work with particle physics or something (unless it's a hobby and you have a particle accelerator in your basement... the neighbors must complain of the blackouts in your neighborhood.)

Not exactly. My son is the physicist in the family (majoring, ATM). Smashadams is the name of a character from a cartoon I used to watch with the kids when they were little.

As for vacuum, hopefully, it will stay in the bottle where it belongs. It's been there for 70 years for most of these so we're probably good!

Cheers,
Keith

Ah ha! Sounds good! (So to speak...)
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Postby MMMC » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:10 pm

smashatoms wrote:I've been looking to buy a quad of RCA 2A3s for my Wright Monoblocks, and was having trouble finding some that pass muster on a curve tracer. I mentioned this to a friend and former audio service tech. His response was, "I have a few. Why don't you drop by?" This is what I came home with:

IMG_2925.jpg

Oh happy day!
Smash

Smash,

Congratulation on your "gold strike"! That's a serious stash of 2A3 black plates. I am a long time 2A3 user with a pair of Welbourne Labs 2A3 Monoblocks. 1940's RCA 2A3 Blackplates are chased by almost all 2A3 owners. There is a reason why the RCA Black plates are chased, and that's because they sound very good. RCA was also the 1000 pound gorilla of 2A3 manufacture, so there were a lot of them, many also sold under other brand names. With luck, you will get 4 very close matches among the 1943 CRC dated boxes. In case you need or want more "in depth" decoding of information on 2A3 tubes, Brenden at TubeWorld, and Brent Jessie of Brent Jessie Recording have websites with a lot of information.
I think I have plugged in almost every NOS and current production 2A3 tube over a 25 year stretch, US, Chinese, and European manufactured. If you ever decide to go all out on a pair of 2A3's, I feel the very best, whether monoplate or dual plates, are the current production Emission Labs 2A3 Mesh plates. Be warned they are very pricey, BUT, the very best sonics to my ears. Feel welcome to PMail me,(to avoid boring Forum members with 2A3 tube talk), if you want to talk 2A3 tube sonics. Have fun with your gold strike.

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby smashatoms » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:30 am

Hi MMMC,

I've window shopped the EML 2A3 mesh plates a number of times - maybe some day... My amps are PP so I would need four of these beasts! Thing is, the retailers never seem to have much stock and the delivery time is listed as 8-10 weeks. Is demand so high that they're always on back order?

EML also makes a mesh plate 5Z3 rectifier, which my power amps use. I have very nice sounding black plate RCAs from the '50s. I'm curious how the EMLs would sound but not ready to drop $500+ on a pair.

The curve tracing was a success but to get the best matching, I had to cross varieties. I have a spring top with a CRC, etc. While purists might frown at mixing and matching, the matched pairs have excellent curves, full emission, or nearly so, and are noticeably superior to the matched quad of EH2A3 gold grids they are replacing. I was able to put together two nicely matched quads and a couple of pairs, which are going back to the owner. I plan to keep both quads and return the rest. Until something superior comes along, these are keepers!

The same friend who let me into his stash of 2A3s also convinced me to try running my system off a VariAC and experiment with voltages below the typical 117-120. I've been running the system at 110v and I have to say it sounds both quieter and more dynamic! I'm using a DMM plugged into one of the outlets controlled by the VariAC to set voltage. Noticing that the volt meter on the VariAC runs out of calibration above, 100V, I decided to check the wall outlet. The supply coming into my room reads 122V! The electrician has to come back to take care of some post inspection items. I'm going to ask them about that while they're here.

I'll PM you after I've had a little more time with these beauties. I'd like to hear more about your Welbournes.

Cheers,
Smash
Holo Audio Spring DAC L3
smashatoms

Postby MMMC » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:14 am

Smash,

Congrats again on strikeing 2A3 "gold" with the stash of RCA Blackplates. Most of the RCA 2A3 tubes available for purchase currently are the grey plates, and they also have good sonics. I'll expect to hear more from you via Pmail much further down the road when things have settled down for you.

MMMC
Code: Select all
[code][code][code][code][code][/code][/code][/code][/code][/code]
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Return to General Audio