Integrated Amps

Re: Integrated Amps

Postby Brf » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Dorian wrote:
I'm still using the stock 12AU7s; do you think I can improve the sound quality by upgrading these, and if so what would you (or others) recommend? I guess I should try the Gold Lion ECC82s?

Thanks.

I am not sure how the six 12au7 are used within the circuit i.e. headphone, tube buffer, or pre-drivers, but in my experience, upgrading the small signal driver tubes will have a greater affect on the sound than the a power tube change. I would find out what the six 12au7 tubes do before you start rolling them.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby pathguy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:00 pm

The TSM's are beautiful, too. I had those until I found someone on Audiogon selling the VSM's for a song--in fact, Rich was the one who let me know about the ad. Ended up trading in the TSM's and the smaller Filarmonia towards the Gran.
pathguy

Postby Pianist » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:55 pm

Dorian wrote:
Pianist wrote:I have a PrimaLuna Premium Dialogue HP integrated and love it! It replaced a Pass Labs INT-150, which sounded good, but it's quite thin and sterile when compared to the PL. I recently upgraded the PL power tubes from the stock EL34 to Gold Lion KT77s, and the stock preamp tubes to Gold Lion ECC82s. I noticed a dramatic increase in presence, less hum, but no loss of warmth. The headphone circuit, which is driven by the full complement of tubes, sounds incredible, too.

I do occasionally worry about tube failure and would go back to solid state if I could find one that sounded as realistic and rich as my tube amp.

We have the same amp Pianist. I upgraded the power tubes to the KT-120s recommended by Upscale Audio, the TUNG-SOL KT120. This made a big improvement in overall sound, especially in dynamics (I like big dynamics)

I'm still using the stock 12AU7s; do you think I can improve the sound quality by upgrading these, and if so what would you (or others) recommend? I guess I should try the Gold Lion ECC82s?

Thanks.

I changed all of my tubes at once, so I can't determine which ones contributed the most to the improved sound. The GL ECC82s are very well regarded, so I don't think you can go wrong. I almost went for KT120s, but I read several posts that said I'd lose some of the magical midrange, and they are not a great tube for classical music, my primary style.
DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB13 Ultra sub; PrimaLuna HP integrated amp; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Musical Surroundings Nova II phono stage; Esoteric K-03 SACD; Sennheiserr HD 800S headphones
Pianist

Postby Tirebiter » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:25 pm

Betting I own the lowest output integrated amp here......My Avantgarde Model 5 puts out a whopping 0.5 watt that is more than sufficient to deafen a room when hooked up to my Duo Grossos...... ;)
TNT Jr, Graham Phantom III, ZYX Universe II LOMC, Tempo Electric Silver Phono Cable, Amazon B-lab Phonoamplifyer, Tom Evans - The Vibe, Lamm ML 2.1 Monoblocks, Avantgarde Duo Grosso....and a Thorens TD 160 Mk I in standby....
Tirebiter

Postby pathguy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:00 am

Tirebiter wrote:Betting I own the lowest output integrated amp here......My Avantgarde Model 5 puts out a whopping 0.5 watt that is more than sufficient to deafen a room when hooked up to my Duo Grossos...... ;)

That amp looks really cool, Tirebiter; no doubt it sounds awesome, too.
pathguy

Postby Tirebiter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:57 am

It is a cool little amp and I think you have to look at it for what it is, a novelty to illustrate the efficiency of the Avantgarde speakers (107 dB). The reality of the AG speakers is that they essentially are bi-amped, it's just that the amps for the bass drivers are built in (250W each). Thus not much power is required for the mid and treble drivers. To me, the logic of bi-amping makes a whole lot sense and puts power where it is (or is not) needed instead of having to design a one size fits all amp.

Sound wise, it is a very good unit though I found it to be a bit too analytical for my tastes. The Tom Evans/Lamm combo I am now running is much smoother and thus enjoyable for me.

Brock
TNT Jr, Graham Phantom III, ZYX Universe II LOMC, Tempo Electric Silver Phono Cable, Amazon B-lab Phonoamplifyer, Tom Evans - The Vibe, Lamm ML 2.1 Monoblocks, Avantgarde Duo Grosso....and a Thorens TD 160 Mk I in standby....
Tirebiter

Postby Mr_Putty » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:20 pm

Speaking of TUBES. And how they sound different, I found this on YouTube tonight. Search for Hop Pole Studios. The samples are all modern electric guitar, based on front end amplification and identical studio set up.

And in the intro is an amped two speaker cabinet labeled FATBOY, Celestine Vintage 30, Zilla. I found that interesting. Anyone heard of it?
JTA
Mr_Putty

Postby gene9p » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:01 pm

I just ordered the amp mod for my Vinnie Rossi LIO .I will update on how it compares as an integrated vs pre amp with separate amp.
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby soundwatts » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:56 pm

I am using the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum ii. It's a very good match with my Sonus Faber speakers.also an excellent match with the manley Chinook at 60 db of gain being driven by an Ortofon quintet black .3 mv output. Well made and great extention and detail
Prime Signature
Ortofon Quintet Black
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum ii
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5
Bluesound Vault 2
CAL Icon Mk2 CD Player (no longer used after purchasing new Scout)
soundwatts

Postby Stringreen » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:46 pm

Most all in one's are not nearly the equal of seperates.......try Ayre......they're expensive but are at the top
Stringreen

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio