Integrated Amps

Re: Integrated Amps

Postby Dorian » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:17 am

I have an integrated and love it. Having said that, my choice was due to space, budget and WAF considerations. I’ve never actually heard separates in my room.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby phb » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:23 am

I use the peachtree nova300 in my system and could not be happier. I believe some high-end manufacturers are starting to realize there is a huge market for integrated amps, specially among younger audiophiles (call it millenials if you wish) who cannot afford a very expensive system. In my case, the price was not the only factor that led me to the nova300. Besides being able to afford it, I needed a Class D because I needed the piece ot be inside a cabinet, so I could not afford an amplifier that would heat too much. Also, the Loop function is of paramount importance to me given the fact my listening condition sucks and I can correct most of it with the Schiit Loki 4-band tone control. The third reason I chose the nova300 is that it can drive my Focal Utopia headphones as no other at its price range.
phb

Postby Pianist » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:18 pm

I have a PrimaLuna Premium Dialogue HP integrated and love it! It replaced a Pass Labs INT-150, which sounded good, but it's quite thin and sterile when compared to the PL. I recently upgraded the PL power tubes from the stock EL34 to Gold Lion KT77s, and the stock preamp tubes to Gold Lion ECC82s. I noticed a dramatic increase in presence, less hum, but no loss of warmth. The headphone circuit, which is driven by the full complement of tubes, sounds incredible, too.

I do occasionally worry about tube failure and would go back to solid state if I could find one that sounded as realistic and rich as my tube amp.
Last edited by Pianist on Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB13 Ultra sub; PrimaLuna HP integrated amp; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Musical Surroundings Nova II phono stage; Esoteric K-03 SACD; Sennheiserr HD 800S headphones
Pianist

Postby Jprod » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:34 pm

I have separates ( wyred4sound stpse and parasound a21). I have always wondered if an integrated tube like a prima luna would have been a better way to go from a space, convenience standpoint without sacrificing sound quality.
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby JimTimP » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:09 pm

Manley Stingray II with Amprex Bugle Boy 12AT7s (Pre-Amp). Raytheon 6416 (drivers) and Telefunken EL84's. It sounds awesome. Bias is very easy to adjust. Driving a pair of 2.5 Way John Zaph designed towers and a pair of 10" active subwoofers (the Manley has a subwoofer output per channel). It sound incredible. But, thats to my hearing curve.

The phono pre-amp is a Zestos Andros (v1) with four NOS early diamond bottom Telefunken 12AX7s.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby pathguy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:23 am

IMG_7902.JPG
IMG_7902.JPG (2.05 MiB) Viewed 347 times
I use an Ars-Sonum Gran Filarmonia integrated. They are not too well-known in these parts, and my local audio guru is the sole distributor for North America. Handmade by one guy in Madrid, Spain. I can't imagine ever getting rid of it--gorgeous to look at and listen to :P
pathguy

Postby Brf » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:05 am

pathguy wrote:
IMG_7902.JPG
I use an Ars-Sonum Gran Filarmonia integrated. They are not too well-known in these parts, and my local audio guru is the sole distributor for North America. Handmade by one guy in Madrid, Spain. I can't imagine ever getting rid of it--gorgeous to look at and listen to :P

The ARS is a very nice amp. I've heard that amp paired with Merlin speakers back when Bobby P was the distributor. IIRC, Rich Brkich of Signature Sound (another great retailer) and a friend of Bobby P has taken over distribution.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby pathguy » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:43 am

Brf wrote:
pathguy wrote:
IMG_7902.JPG

The ARS is a very nice amp. I've heard that amp paired with Merlin speakers back when Bobby P was the distributor. IIRC, Rich Brkich of Signature Sound (another great retailer) and a friend of Bobby P has taken over distribution.

It is indeed, Brf.

I currently have Merlin VSM's and they sound fantastic. Rich Brkich lives literally 5 minutes from my house: I just picked up the Gran from him last week ;)
pathguy

Postby Brf » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:50 am

pathguy wrote:
Brf wrote:
pathguy wrote:
IMG_7902.JPG

It is indeed, Brf.

I currently have Merlin VSM's and they sound fantastic. Rich Brkich lives literally 5 minutes from my house: I just picked up the Gran from him last week ;)

I used to own a pair of Ruby Red VSM-MX with the SuperBAM and still have a pair of TSM is my home office system.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dorian » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:25 am

Pianist wrote:I have a PrimaLuna Premium Dialogue HP integrated and love it! It replaced a Pass Labs INT-150, which sounded good, but it's quite thin and sterile when compared to the PL. I recently upgraded the PL power tubes from the stock EL34 to Gold Lion KT77s, and the stock preamp tubes to Gold Lion ECC82s. I noticed a dramatic increase in presence, less hum, but no loss of warmth. The headphone circuit, which is driven by the full complement of tubes, sounds incredible, too.

I do occasionally worry about tube failure and would go back to solid state if I could find one that sounded as realistic and rich as my tube amp.

We have the same amp Pianist. I upgraded the power tubes to the KT-120s recommended by Upscale Audio, the TUNG-SOL KT120. This made a big improvement in overall sound, especially in dynamics (I like big dynamics)

I'm still using the stock 12AU7s; do you think I can improve the sound quality by upgrading these, and if so what would you (or others) recommend? I guess I should try the Gold Lion ECC82s?

Thanks.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio