Integrated Amps

Integrated Amps

Postby Orchids1 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:21 am

Most Forum members, including me, have quite an assortment of electronics, but I wonder how many of us have opted for integrated amps or integrated preamps with powered speakers. There’s an allure to a single, well-styled component that combines a phono pre, streamer, dac, amplification, and sometimes other features. These devices have evidently become pretty popular, and some high-end manufacturers, including apropos of the following topic, Vinnie Rossi, have entered the market. They seem to be far from “life style” products these days. I’d be interested in hearing from those who’ve gone the integrated route as to what they think of their component’s sound quality and how they’d compare it to separates. Thanks. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Re: Integrated Amps

Postby Peer Gynt » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am

Like this one. https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collection ... -amplifier

I have a friend who swears by his Krell integrated amp.

If you’re looking for a more compact system, and are willing to give up the flexibility that separates can provide, it’s a good move. I think this is especially true for home theater applications, where you could take it a step further and choose a receiver instead of an integrated amp.

I’ve been tending toward the other direction, choosing amps, line level preamps, and separate phono preamps. It’s been enlightening to try many different phono preamps, and I suppose this could be done feeding an integrated amp too, but the best line level preamps seem really transparent, and I’ve not found this to be true at the level I’d like with the integrateds I’ve auditioned.
Peer Gynt

Postby Marc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am

I'm personally using an Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amplifier in my system. This was covering my phono pre, dac, aux for TV, and a few other things. I originally took this approach since I was limited on space and it had great reviews across several different magazines. I was also nervous at the time to look into individual components and feeling as if I'd have buyers remorse since there are so many options out there. However, once I pulled the trigger It was a huge step up from my previous integrated amplifier but also almost 5x the price. I've also listened to some higher end integrated amplifiers that are even better sonically and had more features but they were out of my price range. It's definitely interesting to see how many companies are starting to really advance the performance of these units.

Since then, I started to experiment with different pieces of equipment in my setup and find that I'm able to achieve a better sound going this route. Eventually I will piece all the parts out and have all individual components but that will come at an added cost, space, and configuration compared to the integrated but it will give me a bit more freedom with upgrading down the road. I just need to figure out how to deal with the rats nest of wires that I have now :lol:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI HR-X, Fatboy, & Voyager Phono| Ortofon A95| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Postby Orchids1 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:54 am

Many integrated amplifiers have dedicated subwoofer outputs, as does my preamplifier, so that allows for a wireless subwoofer connection that works as well, some say better, than a wired connection. Then, there are speakers, such as the Devialet Gold Phantoms, that are wireless and get great reviews, including from my son. So, with separates, that leaves ICs and power cords. Just keep them short. No rat’s nest. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby Jbelben » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi

With regard to Integrated amps; I chose the Prima Luna HP Integrated three years ago, and I couldn’t be happier. Please note, I am not going to call it the “best” because unless I heard the dozens of available choices in my home, how would I know what is best.

I can tell you that it will be three years old this November, and it has been bulletproof. I use it with PSB Image Tower 3’s and it drives them effortlessly. My next move will be to call Kevin from Upscale Audio and order 8KT 150’s, platinum Matched and Cryogenic treated. I use it with a Shunyata Denaili, and Shunyata Power Cords. Kevin Deal is the NA distributor for PL and he is a Tube wiz......give him a call.

I chose the PL after at least a half dozen consistently rave reviews by TAS, Stereophile, Tone Audio, Hi-Fi+ and Hi-Fi Pig.

PL products are rarely for sale in the used market so I think that is a statement in itself. The PL also come with auto bias, a bad tube indicator and you can tube roll to your hearts content all for ($4399...or there abouts)

Cheers

JB
Jbelben

Postby brubacca » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:27 am

I am a big fan of integrated amps. They are a nice compact way to have excellent sound. They are a way to get to excellent sound while saving a few dollars. Quite frankly I like them because then I do not need to stress about having the best cable between the pre and amp. Its an internal connection so it has to be optimal, right?

I think that we are in a great time for audio. Really enjoyable music is available at much lower prices so more can enjoy.

I use a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum Tube Integrated and its a component that I'll never get rid of. Outside of that there are really great options from Rega (Brio), PrimaLuna , NAD, Naim, SimAudio.... etc

I don't think that including streaming internal to the amp is the best idea. Things in the digital world change so quickly that I think it limits your products longevity, although with enough analog inputs that can be mitigated.
brubacca

Postby Orchids1 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Without question, one of the disadvantages of integrated amps/ preamps is their lack of longevity, unless it’s possible to update them via software downloads. However, separate streamers and dacs face the same issue. Rich
Orchids1

Postby tom collins » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:50 pm

Yes. Count me in the integrated camp. When done right, they are hard to beat.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby Orchids1 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:21 pm

Tom, You have, of course, what may be the finest, sweetest-sounding integrated amplifier of all time. Rich
Orchids1

Postby Waxxy » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:14 pm

Yes...integrated here too. I especially like integrateds with passive pre-amp sections...although more demanding on the sources. My main amp is actually a tube power amp with a pair of switched inputs and a volume control, but no pre-amp to speak of.
Attachments
gi.mpl.jpg
gi.mpl.jpg (627.35 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Waxxy

Next

Return to General Audio