Designer (Leather) Prime

Re: Designer (Leather) Prime

Postby 33+1third » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:10 pm

You are right about an acquired taste :lol: Sort'a reminds me of Howdy Doody, we're all different. I know I don't wear men's jeans with embroidered pockets or rhinestones ..... that's just me. That crazy crap worked for Elvis .....
"Music is my Time Machine"
33+1third

Postby 10ovr » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:20 pm

The one thing I wonder is how it sounds ????
10ovr

Postby Peer Gynt » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:42 pm

10ovr wrote:The one thing I wonder is how it sounds ????

It ought to be even better damped than one that’s not leather clad.

The guys and gals who buy these will be making a statement.

The guys who laugh at them are making a statement too.

Like I said, I don’t want one .... but a guy building a $10M house with his wife interacting with the contractors and interior designers could easily end up with one as part of the home entertainment system.
Peer Gynt

Postby Orchids1 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:17 pm

Peer, As to the last sentence, never, ever. Mat, Name two people outside of VPI who’ve said this thing is attractive or tasteful. Rich
Avenger (w/mods)+SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu/tach, Sutherland 20/20, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cbl; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; dedic. 20A circuits.
Orchids1

Postby 33+1third » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:20 am

Orchids1 wrote:Peer, As to the last sentence, never, ever. Mat, Name two people outside of VPI who’ve said this thing is attractive or tasteful. Rich

I believe you're right ^^^^^ , I'm hoping Mat is using the announcement and this forum just as a sounding board :D
"Music is my Time Machine"
33+1third

Postby Peer Gynt » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:54 am

So far there are just three of you who seem to feel so strongly negative.

Few have seen this.

If it is like the Scott 299 project, few will ever see it.

I’ve had friends in the retail side of this business, literally for over 35 years. I would not expect anyone to order 25 of them for stock. But in the Nashville market, there are two high bling factor turntables - McIntosh and Levinson. Studios, Music Industry Moguls, folks who have “made it” in music, in sports, or in high roller lawyering, are all candidates for this product.

If they’ve made 50 to 100 of them, they’ll move them in a reasonable time frame. If they’ve made a thousand of them, we’ll see Uncle Kevvy pitching them for deals in 2021.

Seriously ... if you don’t want one, why pi** all over them? Just walk.

I’ll bet with the right cartridge, they’ll sound better than either the McIntosh or the Levinson.

The leather cladding will further suppress plinth vibrations, and in a table intending a rigid path between cartridge and platter, additional damping should be either an improvement, or at least a no harm mod.
Peer Gynt

Postby billo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:42 am

As they say, this thread is useless without a photo. So here it is:

Designer Prime.jpg
Designer Prime.jpg (84.29 KiB) Viewed 1179 times

I had to look up "bespoke" = made to order. No doubt!
billo

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:06 am

Peer Gynt wrote:The leather cladding will further suppress plinth vibrations, and in a table intending a rigid path between cartridge and platter, additional damping should be either an improvement, or at least a no harm mod.

Have you done any listening tests to back this up, or is this all conjecture on your part?
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby DeeCee » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:11 am

All 'n all, it may be the case that the table might look better "live" than in a picture... I've seen some pics of cars, watches, clothes, etc. that look bad in a picture but great in real life and vice versa!

(One of the ugliest pieces of furniture I ever saw was the most comfortable I've ever sat in... Go figure!)
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Postby jonathanb » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:23 am

I've seen that table at VPI and think that it does, in fact, look better in person.
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Phoenix S | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Gryphon XT MC | Gryphon M100 (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio