Record cleaning brush

Record cleaning brush

Postby MOON » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Just wondering what you guys like for removing dust off the record before playing it. I see Audioquest has a new carbon fibre brush , What's your preferred brush?
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Re: Record cleaning brush

Postby Dorian » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:38 pm

Can’t beat the Hunt brush IME, although I haven’t tried the Audioquest.

Hunt: EDA Mark 6 Carbon Fiber Record Brush https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001A9ST2G?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Peer Gynt » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:30 am

I bought one of the latest version carbon fiber Audioquest brushes when they were first released. I liked it well enough to buy more of the same. My Discwasher brushes were finally retired. I’m sure there are other good brushes available too.
Last edited by Peer Gynt on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peer Gynt

Postby mreeter » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:09 am

Dorian wrote:Can’t beat the Hunt brush IME, although I haven’t tried the Audioquest.

Hunt: EDA Mark 6 Carbon Fiber Record Brush https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001A9ST2G?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Once you try one of these, you'll never go back to the Audioquest Brush.
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby Orchids1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:52 am

Hunt and AudioQuest have always had their partisans. I use the new AudioQuest brush, and it works well. However, I think that record and stylus preparation, which need not be time consuming or laborious, and record storage are key, not the particular anti static brush used. There’s plenty in the Forum on record washing, stylus cleaning and record storage. I would only add that I use a Milty Zerostat before and after I dry brush a record. The first time loosens dust held by static, and the second time eliminates static introduced by the “anti static” brush. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby suntea » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:40 am

Audioquest is the best to me. I tried the Hunt and don't like it. Too bulky and gets dirty fast with no good way to get it off, unless you brush it. The Audioquest gets the dust off and then you turn it to get the dust off the brush.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
suntea

Postby Dorian » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:29 am

suntea wrote:Audioquest is the best to me. I tried the Hunt and don't like it. Too bulky and gets dirty fast with no good way to get it off, unless you brush it. The Audioquest gets the dust off and then you turn it to get the dust off the brush.

You simply use the metal guard that comes with the Hunt to scrape it before and after each use. I've had mine for years and it looks as good as new.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby TomD » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:55 am

I have both Audioquest and Hunt. Both work fine, but I use the Audioquest before/after each play because it seems quicker/easier to me.

The Hunt is better if a record has a lot of sticky dust. I use it before cleaning on my VPI MW-1 cleaner. If you don't clean your records with a record cleaner I suppose I would recommend the Hunt instead as a main brush.

Can't really go wrong. I would recommend both, as to me they serve slightly different purposes.
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Postby Jprod » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:02 pm

I use the acoustec big brush. It comes with and without a grounding cord. Mine does not have the cord. I personally like it better than the aforementioned brushes. I like the large handle and the softer bristles. Works great !
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Manley Chinook phono preamp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Return to General Audio