new records too small for clamp

new records too small for clamp

Postby clarke » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:58 pm

has anyone else noticed that recently over the last few years, more records do not fit the Record clamp?
i use the record clamp with vpi super scoutmaster rim drive-reference and see more of it.
i love the clamp!!
but am disappointed with some new vinyl that tries to scimp on 1-2 mm of vinyl that it doesn't fit!!
clarke

Re: new records too small for clamp

Postby Brf » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:00 am

clarke wrote:has anyone else noticed that recently over the last few years, more records do not fit the Record clamp?
i use the record clamp with vpi super scoutmaster rim drive-reference and see more of it.
i love the clamp!!
but am disappointed with some new vinyl that tries to scimp on 1-2 mm of vinyl that it doesn't fit!!

I assume your are referencing the periphery ring. I have a couple of albums that are too small but the good news is they are flat.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby clarke » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:15 pm

yes, i am talking about the periphery ring. it just seem that i am seeing more NEW vinyl in the last year that is smaller than prior. they may be 180g but are smaller and the periphery ring doesn't work. It's sad. It seems some vinyl manufactures are making them smaller lately. or maybe, its' just the vinyl i've been buying
clarke

Postby gene9p » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:00 am

I have a couple as well. The newly released soundtrack from THE RIGHT STUFF in blue vinyl is one off the top of my head.
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .8v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby mmai » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:17 am

I have a few, too. They are not that new, but they are all heavy vinyl. I used Vinyl Flat to flattened them somewhat.
VPI 30th Anniversary Classic (fully tricked out), Audio Technica AT-OC9ML/II & AT33Mono, Aesthetix Rhea
mmai

Postby JimTimP » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:53 pm

My 'small' record experience comes from a single French factory that even the label has acknowledged as producing inferior quality. They have many more problems than simply not meeting specs of diameter. I even replaced (exchanged) them twice, only to get worse pressings. I no longer will buy anything from that label and made sure the company knew.

Even if you have a great library, if you pressing stink, so doe the entire label.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Dorian » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:54 pm

I've only had my ring for a few weeks; so far only one record has been too small for it. Can't remember which one sorry.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby husafreak » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:37 pm

I have a couple that are too small but one is an old LP. I doubt anyone would build a record cutting machine on purpose that didn't maintain the official diameter specifications. I don't know why the ones I have are too small. Maybe they shrink? I mean maybe it is the plastic or something to do with the actual molding process? I'll ask on the Steve Hoffman forum.
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Return to General Audio