Cables, can't live with them, can't live without them!

Cables, can't live with them, can't live without them!

Postby husafreak » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:30 pm

As my system morphs through time I found myself with a small selection of cables to play with. Note that I am a "budget" kind of guy when it comes to cables. I hear differences and can appreciate a great cable but I'm kind of a tightwad nowadays when it comes to actually buying them.
About the time I got my Scout 2/Sumiko BB I needed two sets of cables. I bought two sets of phono cables, compared and selected one for my TT and used the other as an interconnect for my headphone amp. I compared the Audio Sensibility Impact SE and Ortofon 6NX-TSW 1010R cables and preferred the Ortofon cables. There was not a huge difference though.
Since then I retired my old digital setup (at one point it was a CD transport to Celestion DSP to Theta D/A converter) so I had a pair of Kimber Kable KCAG silver digital interconnects on hand. I was buying a long set of XLR interconnects from Audio sensibilities last night (Impact SE again) for my new digital front end and I was feeling a powerful urge to buy a set of Statement Silver phono cables! Those suckers are pricey but have been very popular on this forum. Then I remembered my old Kimber KCAG "digital" interconnects. Could those be used as phono interconnects? Heck, a pair is selling for $395 on Ebay. So I plugged them in and did another shootout today. Ortfon Vs AS Impact SE Vs Kimber Silver. Well, the Kimber digital silver interconnects sound fantastic! I suppose they are a bit brighter than the copper cables, a slight loss of warmth, but as I am fond of saying, the is more "there" there with the silver cables. I can't think of any reason not to use them, there is obviously nothing special about "digital" RCA/RCA cables. A simple ground wire is all I needed to add.
Why is silver such a good material for phono interconnects? I'm impressed.
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Re: Cables, can't live with them, can't live without them!

Postby 10ovr » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Im in the middle of building a system at my cabin and I bought Silnote Audio cables Ref Series II to give a try,,They get great reviews and the price is great,,, Worth a look,,
10ovr

Postby Brf » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:04 am

The Kimber KCAG in an excellent and detailed cable. The only potential issue with using the KCAG as a phono cable is that it is unshielded, therefore, in some systems it may pick up hum.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby husafreak » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:31 pm

I'll watch out for that. Hum that is. It wasn't noticeable in my little shootout but I have the HO Blackbird. I imagine hum would be more noticeable with a LO cartridge. So I guess "phono" cables are typically shielded unless otherwise noted. Thanks
VPI Scout 2/JMW9-3D arm/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/HRX record weight/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby Brf » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:59 am

husafreak wrote:I'll watch out for that. Hum that is. It wasn't noticeable in my little shootout but I have the HO Blackbird. I imagine hum would be more noticeable with a LO cartridge. So I guess "phono" cables are typically shielded unless otherwise noted. Thanks

Yes, phono cables are "typically" shielded due to the very low output that they carry. Any EMI/RFI that could be picked up by the cable will be amplified along with the low output signal.

No harm in experimenting, go at it.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby suntea » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:47 am

I purchased a Silver Statement VI RCA to RCA Phono cable from Audio Sensibility about 18 months ago. I believe these are shielded. Before this I used the VPI cable exclusively but wanted to try the AS cable after reading good things about it.

The AS cable works great with my Dynavector XX2 cartridge. However, when I change tonearms to the one using an Ortofon Mono Quintet cartridge it creates a hum. The hum loudness changes based on where I move the AS cable to - louder in some spots, quieter in others. I can get it pretty quiet but if I turn it up I can still hear a slight hum. When I change it back to the VPI cable, the hum totally disappears. Disappointing to say the least. The VPI cable sounds darn good though.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2, McIntosh 2300 Pre, McIntosh MC275 VI Amp, McIntosh MVP861 disc player, Dali MS5 Speakers, REL T9i woofer (2)
suntea

Return to General Audio