TNT Mk2,5

TNT Mk2,5

Postby interalian » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:51 pm

Does anybody know what makes a TNT Mk2.5 different from the Mk2?

One specific question: does it take the same belts?
interalian
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:30 am

Re: TNT Mk2,5

Postby Brf » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:42 pm

A TNT 2.5 is merely mislabeled TNT Mk2.

The .5 addition to a TNT 3 series or above merely indicates the addition of a stand alone flywheel. The original and series 2 TNTs cannot accommodate the stand-alone flywheel.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4663
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: TNT Mk2,5

Postby interalian » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:11 am

I see. I have an aux flywheel that sits on the motor pulley. All that does is sing so I never use it.

I have the original box where ".5" has been written in Sharpie. SN 902.
interalian
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:30 am

Re: TNT Mk2,5

Postby Brf » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:55 am

interalian wrote:I see. I have an aux flywheel that sits on the motor pulley. All that does is sing so I never use it. .


Not sure what you mean by an “aux flywheel that sits on the motor pulley”? I assume that your table has a square motor attached to a T sled with 2 capstan pulleys.

Post a picture of your table and we can give you an accurate assessment as to the exact model and if it has any updates or modification.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4663
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: TNT Mk2,5

Postby interalian » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:23 am

Hi,

I don't have a shot of the motor at the moment, but it's in the big stainless slug. Square flange with a shouldered pulley. There's a ~3" diameter by ~3/8" thick 'ring' that sits on the shoulder of the motor pulley that I assume acts as a flywheel. As it's a slip fit, it 'sings' as the motor runs so I don't use it.

After looking at the legacy section, my TNT looks more like a MK3 than the MK2 shown there as it has the three post rim drive setup and the motor drives the left post of the rim drive via a short belt.

I'll post better pictures when I have them.

TNT sans platter and arm board.JPG
TNT sans platter and arm board.JPG (2 MiB) Viewed 287 times
interalian
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:30 am

Re: TNT Mk2,5

Postby thegage » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:35 am

I think there used to be a small ring as an accessory that was installed and operated just as you say, but I can't find a picture of it right now. I don't think it was very popular as it didn't really do much.

I have the same plinth as you. I can't determine exactly what model it is, because all it says is "TNT" on the label on the back. The square cutout and laminated plinth are the cue to its designation, but it's a bit of a guess. When I bought it used the owner said it was a 3, but other here have said everything from Jr. to 2.

JohnK
TNT 2, Classic platter, Periphery Ring, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Fatboy 12 Gimbal, Hana ML, Moon 310LP, PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium pre, PrimaLuna Evo 300 amp, Golden Ear Triton 2+, Martin Logan Depth sub
thegage
Senior Member
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:41 am

Re: TNT Mk2,5

Postby Brf » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:33 pm

interalian wrote:Hi,

I don't have a shot of the motor at the moment, but it's in the big stainless slug. Square flange with a shouldered pulley. There's a ~3" diameter by ~3/8" thick 'ring' that sits on the shoulder of the motor pulley that I assume acts as a flywheel. As it's a slip fit, it 'sings' as the motor runs so I don't use it.

After looking at the legacy section, my TNT looks more like a MK3 than the MK2 shown there as it has the three post rim drive setup and the motor drives the left post of the rim drive via a short belt.

I'll post better pictures when I have them.


I just notice a few pictures of your table on another thread. What you have is an original TNT Mk2 with the following updates:

1) Stainless steel standalone motor
2) TNT Mk3 Tri-pulley system
3) TNT Mk 3 platter.

All very nice upgrades over the standard Mk2
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4663
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: TNT Mk2,5

Postby interalian » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:52 am

Brf wrote:
interalian wrote:Hi,

I don't have a shot of the motor at the moment, but it's in the big stainless slug. Square flange with a shouldered pulley. There's a ~3" diameter by ~3/8" thick 'ring' that sits on the shoulder of the motor pulley that I assume acts as a flywheel. As it's a slip fit, it 'sings' as the motor runs so I don't use it.

After looking at the legacy section, my TNT looks more like a MK3 than the MK2 shown there as it has the three post rim drive setup and the motor drives the left post of the rim drive via a short belt.

I'll post better pictures when I have them.


I just notice a few pictures of your table on another thread. What you have is an original TNT Mk2 with the following updates:

1) Stainless steel standalone motor
2) TNT Mk3 Tri-pulley system
3) TNT Mk 3 platter.

All very nice upgrades over the standard Mk2


Thanks for that information. So were I to need replacement belts, I'd need ones for a MK3? Also, the corner pods don't seem to match MK2 or MK3, so my hybrid is a bit of an odd one.
interalian
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:30 am

Re: TNT Mk2,5

Postby Brf » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:48 pm

If you are using the tri-pulley system you will need the belts for the TNT Mk3. If you are using a single motor to Platter belt, you can use a Classic, Scoutmaster, Prime belt...they are the same length.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4663
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: TNT Mk2,5

Postby interalian » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:40 pm

Brf wrote:If you are using the tri-pulley system you will need the belts for the TNT Mk3. If you are using a single motor to Platter belt, you can use a Classic, Scoutmaster, Prime belt...they are the same length.


Perfect. Thanks!

I'll shoot some pictures once it's all together again.
interalian
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:30 am


Return to General Audio

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

x