Dust inside Preamp

Re: Dust inside Preamp

Postby Lewisranchmike » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:32 pm

Hello Guys:

I read the do not use compressed air too late. I purchased a very nice blower that is made for this application. Next time I will try to mask off the mechanical switch area but BOY OH BOY it did a GREAT job cleaning out the inside. I am extremely pleased with the results and will probably do this once every few years.

Thanks for all input,

Mike in Austin
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 557 times
Avenger Reference MK1(Stillpoints Ultra 5), VAS Nova Gold, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Direct Wire from Lemo to ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:55 pm

Thumbs up.
Main System: MW-1 Cyclone, Lyra Etna, Ekos SE (long headshell), Radikal+Keel+Harban LP12, Conrad Johnson TEA1 + ET7s2 + LP275Ms, Revel F228Bes + ML BF210. Other source is Marantz SA-KI Ruby Ken Ishiwata Signature Reference SACD/CD/DAC.
Peer Gynt

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:56 pm

Orchids1 wrote:Clever sign on the wall. There’s a similar saying in the law biz among lawyers who are usually required by certain types of clients to negotiate, document and close very complex transactions in impossibly short time frames: “You can get it done well, fast, or cheap. Pick any two.” Rich

I’ve got THAT sign on the wall in my present “shop.” :D

You can tell from the rates on the labor sign, I go back a ways. $6/hr was the actual motorcycle dealer labor rate at the time. The mechanics were happy to get their cut of $2.50 to $3.00 per hour. Of course I wanted to watch :lol:

Five years later, I was the service manager and the labor rate had gone up to $10/flat rate hour.
Main System: MW-1 Cyclone, Lyra Etna, Ekos SE (long headshell), Radikal+Keel+Harban LP12, Conrad Johnson TEA1 + ET7s2 + LP275Ms, Revel F228Bes + ML BF210. Other source is Marantz SA-KI Ruby Ken Ishiwata Signature Reference SACD/CD/DAC.
Peer Gynt

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:13 pm

Regarding lawyer rates, I was at one time a detractor as far as their rates and skills are concerned. About 16 years ago I changed my views when a seriously good lawyer saved me $500,000 on a deal and his fee was less than $10k for the hourly work. A good lawyer earns his money.
Peer Gynt

Postby Golear » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:00 pm

You can also put a cover over your gear, so that it takes longer for the dust to accumulate.
Golear

Postby Peer Gynt » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:31 pm

We have Pella 350 series windows, and an electrostatic precipitation filter on the air handler. So virtually no dust to deal with. Before we sealed up the house and installed the filter, it was a constant battle with dust (we live on the north side of a working farm, so you can imagine the airborne dirt and chaff).
Peer Gynt

Postby Lewisranchmike » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:58 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:We have Pella 350 series windows, and an electrostatic precipitation filter on the air handler. So virtually no dust to deal with. Before we sealed up the house and installed the filter, it was a constant battle with dust (we live on the north side of a working farm, so you can imagine the airborne dirt and chaff).

I will have to look into that filter.

Thx,

Mike
Avenger Reference MK1(Stillpoints Ultra 5), VAS Nova Gold, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Direct Wire from Lemo to ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike

Postby Lewisranchmike » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:58 pm

Golear wrote:You can also put a cover over your gear, so that it takes longer for the dust to accumulate.

Interesting, never thought of that

Thx,

Mike
Lewisranchmike

Postby realdealfineaudio » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:10 pm

The big things to watch out for have been posted. Don't use too much air pressure, don't use any air pressure around pots and switches. Make sure you are well grounded to the device when you clean it inside, even on the outside with rag or duster. Any small ultra high voltage static spark can ruin your day. I was using a vacuum and paint brush to remove dust the same as I had for years without issue, when a stray static spark went unnoticed and fried a transistor in the unit's power supply. This caused the entire VF display to go dead. Fortunately I was able to isolate the specific section in the power supply which fed the display. After careful measurements with a high impedance DVOM following the schematic, I located the failed device responsible, a simple TO-92 package transistor.

One 1.09$ transistor from Mouser I was back in business. It could have been worse. This event forever changed my view on cleaning inside anything. Now I use an antistatic wrist band connected to the device ground (which I had always used whenever doing repair service) anytime I clean something, inside or out. I've also taken to touching something not connected to my gear to discharge any static buildup in my body, whenever touching a component to turn it off-on or moving other controls. The remote is your friend in winter especially if your home is prone to a lot of static discharge, which can be pretty bad if you have carpet. Humidification helps but too much and the moisture settles on and gets inside your gear. I was told 35% humidity is the magic number.
realdealfineaudio

Postby Lewisranchmike » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:45 pm

realdealfineaudio wrote:The big things to watch out for have been posted. Don't use too much air pressure, don't use any air pressure around pots and switches. Make sure you are well grounded to the device when you clean it inside, even on the outside with rag or duster. Any small ultra high voltage static spark can ruin your day. I was using a vacuum and paint brush to remove dust the same as I had for years without issue, when a stray static spark went unnoticed and fried a transistor in the unit's power supply. This caused the entire VF display to go dead. Fortunately I was able to isolate the specific section in the power supply which fed the display. After careful measurements with a high impedance DVOM following the schematic, I located the failed device responsible, a simple TO-92 package transistor.

One 1.09$ transistor from Mouser I was back in business. It could have been worse. This event forever changed my view on cleaning inside anything. Now I use an antistatic wrist band connected to the device ground (which I had always used whenever doing repair service) anytime I clean something, inside or out. I've also taken to touching something not connected to my gear to discharge any static buildup in my body, whenever touching a component to turn it off-on or moving other controls. The remote is your friend in winter especially if your home is prone to a lot of static discharge, which can be pretty bad if you have carpet. Humidification helps but too much and the moisture settles on and gets inside your gear. I was told 35% humidity is the magic number.

AWSOME INFO. I will definitely use ground strap, I did not think of that. We have dehumidifier and we are around 50%. I was careful to keep back a bit when using blower.

Thanks again,

Great info,

Mike
Lewisranchmike

Previous

Return to General Audio