Installing HW40 Feet on a Prime??? What about GAIA feet?

Installing HW40 Feet on a Prime??? What about GAIA feet?

Postby 529proaudio » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:55 pm

Any one here successfully swap their stock Prime feet for the HW40 feet? The screw doesn't seem long enough to use with the bumper provided, but without it the table is too low for the platter to clear the motor (even with the lower profile feet installed on the motor).

Also curious if anyone has successfully swapped the stock Prime feet for the IsoAcoustics GAIA III feet? Like the HW40 feet, they seem a lot lower than the stock feet so I'm not sure how one would get the motor low enough. I just got GAIAs for my speakers and aside from the infuriating process of installing them with the correct orientation they are pretty amazing, and I thought I read somewhere that someone preferred them to the HW40 feet on the HW40 table.

Thanks,
Chris
VPI Prime | HW40 Feet | Hana SL MC | Bob's Devices SKY20 VPI SUT | Don Sachs MM Phonostage | Don Sachs Preamp 2 | Don Sachs Kootenay KT88 Amp | Tannoy XT 8F | IsoAcoustics GAIA III Feet | Audioquest Cabling
529proaudio

Re: Installing HW40 Feet on a Prime??? What about GAIA feet?

Postby madrac » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:12 pm

I think it was Dorian who swapped the Gaia's for the stock Prime feet with Symposium inserts. As I recall, he went back to the Prime feet+Symposium inserts.

I don't recall any posts on swapping the Gaia's and HW40's on the HW40.
Classic 1 w/3D arm, VTA tower,periphery ring,PE Eagle & RR, HW16.5, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook,
Anthem MRX720, Rogue Atlas Magnum II, Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Rythmik E15HP,
Audio Sensibility, Blue Jeans ICs, Symposium & Isoacoustics
madrac

Postby edw » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:56 pm

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13404

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13658&p=59073#p59073

See above. I believe the HW40 feet now come with smaller feet for the motor pod just for this purpose.
edw

Postby 529proaudio » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:00 pm

Thanks edw, I read those threads and am confused as ever as it seems that everyone had a slightly different set of components sent to them, some got instructions, some didn't, some used the foam inserts, some didn't, etc...

For those of you who installed the feet using the foam bumper, did you have to do anything else besides simply unscrew the stock foot? Is there another spacer on the underside of the plinth that I have to remove somehow? Otherwise, my screw coming down from the plinth isn't long enough to reach the HW40 foot's threaded housing with the foam ring I was provided.

Sounds like the only way to use the feet without the foam bumper is to remove the motor pod feet entirely and/or replace them with a very thin piece of sorbothane? Isn't having the motor unsupported by proper feet kind of a step backwards in terms of isolation?

Best,
Chris
VPI Prime | HW40 Feet | Hana SL MC | Bob's Devices SKY20 VPI SUT | Don Sachs MM Phonostage | Don Sachs Preamp 2 | Don Sachs Kootenay KT88 Amp | Tannoy XT 8F | IsoAcoustics GAIA III Feet | Audioquest Cabling
529proaudio

Postby edw » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:50 pm

I was an early adopter of the HW40 feet. At the time, they came with the foam bumpers on top of the HW40 feet. I got them for the Scout 2 and they worked well with no modifications. When I got a Prime, I moved the HW40 feet over. In both cases, I unscrewed the male/male rubber inserts that were threaded up into the 4 corners of the plinth because the HW40 feet had their own male/male rubber inserts. To still use the foam bumpers on top of the HW40 feet on the Prime, I had to add an additional female/male rubber insert (see my post/image in the thread linked above) to make it work. Still, the original feet on the motor pod were just a bit too tall. I did not like them anyway because they were too hard, so I found some shorter and softer Herbie's feet that work much better.

I believe now, the HW40 feet for the Prime do not come with or use the foam bumpers on top of the HW40 feet (although you can try) and they now come with shorter feet for the motor pod. If you did not get the shorter feet for the motor pod, I believe VPI will send them to you.

YMMV.
edw

Postby 529proaudio » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:01 pm

Finally called VPI today as I hadn’t heard back from them. They forgot to send me instructions as well as the thin rubber washers that are needed to create the necessary height for the shorter motor feet to work with the shorter HW40 feet. They emailed me the instructions and are going to snail mail me the rubber washers which will probably take a week to arrive. Honestly, this has been a bizarre interaction with VPI so I hope this is a tangible improvement!
529proaudio

Postby edw » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:56 am

That's good news! I think there are too many permutations of tables, feet, motor pods, etc. for there to be own option of the HW40 feet to work universally. Hence the need for spacers, different feet, etc. But VPI will help you make it work.
edw

Postby 529proaudio » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:49 pm

Finally got the HW40 feet installed on my Prime last night after VPI sent me the missing washers and instructions. Getting the inserts out in order to install the extra washers was the hardest part, even using significant force with pliers...they were really stuck in there, and I was scared of ruining the threads with the pliers!

Before I even listened to them, I was really struck with the aesthetic improvement over the stock feet. The ribbing on the feet matches the ribbing on the platter and just dresses up the table. Hard to photograph, but not subtle in person.

I also recently added IsoAcoustics GAIA III feet under my speakers, and between those and the HW40 feet the bass response is definitely more intelligible. I have hardwood floors and a fairly reflective space so there is definitely some resonance in the room that needs to be mitigated.

Best,
Chris
529proaudio

Postby Mr_Putty » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:33 am

529Proaudio,
Getting the inserts out in order to install the extra washers was the hardest part, even using significant force with pliers...they were really stuck in there, and I was scared of ruining the threads....

If you remove the plastic Caps above the feet (on top of the plinth) the inserts are easily removed. I used a kitchen Jar opening strap wrench to do this. There is no damage from the rubber strap, but the caps can be tight. I put mine back hand tight, for now.
:idea:
Mr_Putty

Postby Bill Stevenson » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:14 pm

madrac wrote:I don't recall any posts on swapping the Gaia's and HW40's on the HW40.

Yes I did that and posted. The Gaia feet were an improvement on my HW40, quieter, better bass.
Bill Stevenson

Return to General Audio