Is speed resampling practical?

Is speed resampling practical?

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:32 pm

I recently got an old Columbia record numbered 35932. The label says Montevideo, by Harry James Orchestra. It also says its best to use a Columbia needle. I was told this is probably a 78? It’s 10 inches diameter. My question: If it is a 78 rpm record can it be recorded at 45 rpm and resampled to the correct speed using Audicity? What do you guys suggest? It would just be fun to hear what was recorded. No big deal if it’s not practical.
TIA
Mr_Putty

Re: Is speed resampling practical?

Postby jonathanb » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:51 pm

It's not practical but for a different reason: 78's require a different (larger) stylus.
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Phoenix S | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Gryphon XT MC | Gryphon M100 (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby Golear » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:26 pm

Very interesting idea. Do you mean: Play a 78 on a modern turntable into a digital file at either 33 or 45 rpm. Then resample the file so that the speed comes out correct?

If so, then the question becomes: can we play a 78 with a modern cartridge? I don't seen why not. A modern stylus will be super tiny compared to the original stylus for a 78 so it will sit in a part of the groove that has never been played! Unless there's a technical reason why a 78 CANNOT be played with a modern cartridge, I don't see why you can't do this.

I'd try this out with an MM cartridge that's designed for DJ's before trying this out on a $20,000 MC cartridge, of course. May be the excursions on a 78 exceed the spec for modern cartridges, and so there may be damage to the cartridge. But then again, if I remember correctly, back in the day, there was a Thorens turntable that could rotate at 33, 45 AND 78 rpm. So may be it's very possible.

Do tell us if you try this.
Golear

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:37 pm

Golear wrote:Very interesting idea. Do you mean: Play a 78 on a modern turntable into a digital file at either 33 or 45 rpm. Then resample the file so that the speed comes out correct? Yes.

If so, then the question becomes: can we play a 78 with a modern cartridge? I don't seen why not. A modern stylus will be super tiny compared to the original stylus for a 78 so it will sit in a part of the groove that has never been played! Unless there's a technical reason why a 78 CANNOT be played with a modern cartridge, I don't see why you can't do this. My thoughts as well.

I'd try this out with an MM cartridge that's designed for DJ's before trying this out on a $20,000 MC cartridge, of course. May be the excursions on a 78 exceed the spec for modern cartridges, and so there may be damage to the cartridge. But then again, if I remember correctly, back in the day, there was a Thorens turntable that could rotate at 33, 45 AND 78 rpm. So may be it's very possible. Cant afford to risk it with my current cart, unless there is more good input.

Do tell us if you try this.
Of course, no time for research at the moment.
Mr_Putty

Postby Golear » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:29 pm

Golear

Postby Mr_Putty » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:04 am

Golear,
Thanks for the link. There is a lot to digest there. Low priority at the moment.
Cheers. :D :D
Mr_Putty

Return to General Audio