Phoenix Eng Speed Control

Re: Phoenix Eng Speed Control

Postby allvinyl » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:34 pm

Packgrog wrote:
Brf wrote:
Dorian wrote:Response from Garrett @SOTA, to my question as to whether the Prime's round belt would ride up or down to the top/bottom of their convex pulley:

"You're correct that the round belt won't ride in the middle of the pulley, but it will ride comfortably in the top or bottom groove of our pulley. By using your belt, we can be sure that the belt length is correct for your table."

Thoughts?

That will work as long as the belt's horizontal plane is 100% level with the platter, otherwise, the belt will have a tendency to walk.

I mean, you want to make certain of that anyway. If the belt is at an angle, it causes weird issues. This seems to be particularly true when using feedback-based auto speed adjustment like the Roadrunner and paired motor controller. I always got more fluctuation if my belt wasn't perpendicular to the grooves of the pulley and platter.

But anyway, off that SOTA didn't include those parts in the kit, or even mention that they would need to be purchased separately. They might want to add those details to their store.

The leveling and stability of both the motor pod and plinth is EXACTLY why I replaced the Aries I stock feet with Stillpoints. Now both are exactly level and never deviate unless purposefully moved. Doing this, no matter what solution you decide to use, will have a dramatic effect on sonics and extend belt life as well. I couldn't believe the difference.

P1010079.JPG
Stillpoints Ultra 5s under plinth and Ultra Minis under motor pod
P1010079.JPG (659.52 KiB) Viewed 805 times

P1010080.JPG
P1010080.JPG (699.8 KiB) Viewed 805 times

P5150061.JPG
Motor pod with Ultra Minis
P5150061.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 805 times

P5150062.JPG
P5150062.JPG (1.62 MiB) Viewed 805 times
John Tverdik
allvinyl

Postby Dorian » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:52 pm

Great looking set up AV. I’ve looking for something to replace the stock feet on my motor pod, that would mechanically couple the motor to my Symposium platform instead of isolating it. Are the ultra minis easy to attach?
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby allvinyl » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:02 pm

Dorian wrote:Great looking set up AV. I’ve looking for something to replace the stock feet on my motor pod, that would mechanically couple the motor to my Symposium platform instead of isolating it. Are the ultra minis easy to attach?

Yes, typically they are. If you want to directly attach to the existing holes in the pod you have to know the thread and pitch so Stillpoints can build the Minis with appropriate threaded stud. Same with the plinth.

For me the Aries I plinth uses 1/4-20 which is the same as the Stillpoints standard for all/most of their Ultra products. For my motor pod the taps are 6/32 US STD so they built Minis with that threaded stud and they turned right in. You can also use that stud via the nut to adjust the level of the pod. If you are really careful leveling the shelf you won't have to make leveling adjustments via the Minis' threaded stud. Works very slick...
John Tverdik
allvinyl

Postby allvinyl » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:05 pm

Dorian wrote:Great looking set up AV.

Lost my manners there for a sec... Thanks for your kudos on the setup. It's been evolving for a number of years.
John Tverdik
allvinyl

Postby Dorian » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:40 pm

Thanks John, appreciate the info.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Dorian » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:49 pm

Hi John

Do you have any issue with the motor pod sliding around with the Ultra Minis in place?

Thanks.
Dorian

Postby allvinyl » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:50 am

Dorian wrote:Hi John

Do you have any issue with the motor pod sliding around with the Ultra Minis in place?

Thanks.

No I don't have an issue as I use a piece of a 3M product that comes in sheets between the acrylic shelf and each Mini. The 3M product is slightly tacky and coupled with the weight of the pod it never moves, even slightly. Unfortunately, I don't have a product number.
Whenever I need to move the table off the shelf I always put the pod back in place first so I can position the pieces of the 3M product under the Minis without having to fight the plinth.
P8150102.JPG
P8150102.JPG (570.12 KiB) Viewed 270 times
John Tverdik
allvinyl

Postby Dorian » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:44 pm

Great thanks for the tip.
Dorian

Previous

Return to General Audio