tech to mount ART-9 on Prime (baltimore area)

tech to mount ART-9 on Prime (baltimore area)

Postby richmon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:04 pm

I'm getting a new AudioTechnica ART-9 shortly and wondering if anybody around to mount/align this on the VPI prime in the Baltimore area (paid job). Second location choice is the Phila/south Jersey area, somebody that'd do a house call would be ideal, but if you have a prime guess I could just bring the tonearm for this mounting.

I know I should do this myself, but not yet comfortable with my skillset, when I have more time, guess I'll learn how to DIY. Thanks.
richmon

Re: tech to mount ART-9 on Prime (baltimore area)

Postby tony22 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:45 pm

richmon, I guess I could help as I'm in the South Jersey area, but I'm a little confused. Is the table in the Baltimore area or in the South Jersey area?
Pass XP-20 & XP-17, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, Audience and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby richmon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:09 pm

Tony - the turntable is in the Baltimore suburbs, but I regularly travel to South Jersey on my way to cape may. Prefer not to move the entire turntable, if you have a Prime, you could swap out your arm for my arm and do the mount on your turntable. Sorry if I wasn't particularly clear about that.

Do you have a Prime? Mine's the original mode style.

Thanks.

tony
richmon

Postby Stringreen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:39 pm

let us know how you like the sound when finished.....what you're comparing it against, etc.
Stringreen

Postby tony22 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:14 am

Unfortunately I do not have a Prime.
Pass XP-20 & XP-17, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger w/mods, 12" Fatboy gimbal + 2nd mount, Benz LPS, VAS & SS carts, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, Audience and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby Dorian » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:29 pm

I have a Prime and all the requisite tools. If you can make it to lower Westchester NY (Eastchester), I'll do it for you.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby richmon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:55 pm

String - I was already using the AudioTechnica ART-9 on the Prime - completely magical compared to my previous MusicHall MMF-7 with Ortofon 2M red.
Soundstaging, timbre and tracking all vastly improved.

Additionally, I'd put the Total Contact graphene on the cartridge pins, a worthwhile sound uptick.

One really nice AudioTechnica benefit is their 'replacement' option - if you send a cartridge in for repair and they can't repair it, a discounted new cartridge option is available. So my replacement ART-9 (broken cantilever on old one) cost me $577 shipped, pretty nice AT feature, I'll definatly take that into consideration for future cartridge purchasing.
richmon

Return to General Audio