Phoenix Eng Speed Control

Re: Phoenix Eng Speed Control

Postby teenage diplomat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:15 pm

Steve, John Elison is a hi-fi buddy of mine too. He may well be a “closet” VPI fan, ‘cause he considers my digital dubs of LPs played on my HRX with the AT ART 7 some of the best he has ever heard.
teenage diplomat

Postby Johnny » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:58 am

Has SOTA started production of the Phoenix tach and controller yet?
Johnny

Postby Ducky » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:12 pm

It looks like SOTA will be making a version of the PE controllers that will work on our VPI tables.

https://youtu.be/s3vAuWDMlHc?t=692
Ducky

Postby Waxxy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:10 pm

teenage diplomat wrote:Steve, John Elison is a hi-fi buddy of mine too. He may well be a “closet” VPI fan, ‘cause he considers my digital dubs of LPs played on my HRX with the AT ART 7 some of the best he has ever heard.

Ahem....how does one get on this 'dub' mailing list? TIA
Waxxy

Postby Mel » Fri May 17, 2019 10:22 am

It's now being offered. More expensive than it used to be, all things considered, but better. And a lot better than the alternative.

https://sotaturntables.com/products/tot ... e-package/
Orig. TNT w/Acrylic-lead Platter, Mk V Bearing w/A-F Sapphire upgrade, SM Flywheel, Ball Susp., Eagle & RR, TTW 2.4 lb Ringweight, HW-1 Center weight
JMW 12" Arm with 3D Arm Wand and Dual Pivot w/ruby ballpoint, AT Art-9
Fosgate Sig. Phono Pre
Mel

Postby Dorian » Fri May 17, 2019 12:15 pm

Alright alright alright. I have some questions:

1. I think I remember reading somewhere that the Condor does not need the 'amplifier' that my current Eagle needs, is that right? If yes, I am tempted to try the Condor as the Eagle's amp generates a lot of interference.

2. Can I use the Condor with my existing Roadrunner?

3. Why does this this package come with a motor? Would I need to replace my existing Prime motor with this new motor?

Thanks.

EDIT: It appears that I can use my existing Roadrunner and therefore I would just need to get this package: https://sotaturntables.com/products/eclipse-package/

Next question:

Will the new motor just drop in to the Prime motor pod? Sounds like some "retrofitting" will be required....
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Packgrog » Fri May 17, 2019 12:50 pm

The motor for the Condor is a DC motor, I believe. The Condor and motor are basically a packaged version of work Bill/Phoenix/Pyramic shared on diyaudio. Should be a MUCH quieter motor setup than any of the AC motor options available.

I do not know what modification might be required to mount these motors within existing VPI motor pod casings. I'm curious to find out, though my money is more tied up in motorcycle repairs right now. :P

If I'm reading this correctly, the mounting points for the motor should be about the same as the Hurst motors: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogu ... drive.html
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Dorian » Sat May 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Thanks PG. I ordered the Condor + motor combo. Now to figure out how to mount the motor. I will look at that DIY thread, thanks.

Assuming I can get it set up, I’ll have a Phoenix Eagle to sell. If anyone’s interested PM me.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby vienna acoustics » Sat May 18, 2019 11:55 pm

Many years ago an old motors’ manufacturer had advised a giant turntables’ designer and manufacturer that a dc motor knows where it has been, and that an ac motor knows where it is now.

I believe that a dc motor would deteriorate the sound of VPI turntable in such a manner that it would become one of the lifeless turntables available around which indeed achieve accurate rpm
Amplifiers:Gryphon Pandora,Gryphon Mephisto Stereo,Gryphon Legato Legacy
Speakers;Vienna Acoustics,The Music, VPIAvengerReference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna, AT ART 1000DigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
vienna acoustics

Postby Dorian » Sun May 19, 2019 12:16 am

I guess I’ll find out!
Dorian

PreviousNext

Return to General Audio