Who's heard them all - Purple Heart NS, Benz Ruby Z, LP-S?

Who's heard them all - Purple Heart NS, Benz Ruby Z, LP-S?

Postby tony22 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:45 am

That's the question. Observations welcome.
Pass XP-20, Pass XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger (with mods), 12" Fatboy gimbal and 2nd mount, Benz SL, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Re: Who's heard them all - Purple Heart NS, Benz Ruby Z, LP-

Postby vienna acoustics » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:56 pm

From all the above I have used only Kiseki Purple Heart, it’s a very musical cartridge but lacks on detail, articulation and micro dynamics. An overall nice cartridge but needs attention on the product quality.
I didn’t have any problem with the first Kiseki Purple Heart i got a year ago, however it was given as a present to a guy who had purchased a Prime Signature and had asked me to set his turntable as he wanted to use an old AT MM cartridge.

That Kiseki had a channel separation of 31 dB.soon after I had purchased a second Kiseki Purple Heart to be used to my second Tonearm. The second one had from the beginning channel separation issues (couldn’t get them over 24db) and only after less than 10 hours of playing, the cantilever slipped and was fallen while the armtone was on the armrest.

The Greek dealer had sent the cartridge to Kiseki the same day for inspection, six days later I was advised that any cantilever related issue of any nature and cause is not being covered under warranty.

This is the reason that I will not spend again any money for a new start company which is merely using the name of an old brand .

Later I was advised that similar issues were reported by a numerous of Kiseki users.

Instead I would go for the Koetsu Rosewood Signature which is in about the same cost and sounds much better than the Kiseki.
Last edited by vienna acoustics on Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amplifiers:Gryphon Pandora,Gryphon Mephisto Stereo,Gryphon Legato Legacy
Speakers;Vienna Acoustics,The Music, VPIAvengerReference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna,Kiseki PurpleHeartDigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
vienna acoustics

Postby tony22 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:10 pm

Wow, thanks VA. Troubling experience you had there. I know Harry loves the Kiseki, but I'm not sure it sounds like my kind of cart. I don't need hyperdetail, but my system already leans toward being organic and full sounding (for solid state). Not sure the PH would be a match.
Pass XP-20, Pass XP-15, AVA 600R, Shahinian speakers, PS Audio DMP & DS, Avenger (with mods), 12" Fatboy gimbal and 2nd mount, Benz SL, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Postby vienna acoustics » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:17 pm

Hi Tony,

You should listen then to Lyra Etna, musicality, organic sound, perfect articulation, perfect dynamics and detailing, perfect 3D sound scene. I am having it for 6 months now and still gives me goose bumps. I mean it’s freaking awesome with perfectly defined bass.

Especially with the gimbal Fatboy will make every morning and evening unforgettable.
Is that good that I have just ordered my second

P.s. I have heard that as kiseki order book is growing the quality is dropping to meet the demand in a reasonable time. For me it was 3,000 euro thrown away.
Amplifiers:Gryphon Pandora,Gryphon Mephisto Stereo,Gryphon Legato Legacy
Speakers;Vienna Acoustics,The Music, VPIAvengerReference/FatBoy12” Gimbal&Fatboy 12” unip/LPI Stillpoints,Lyra Etna,Kiseki PurpleHeartDigitalAurenderN10, EMM DA2, Torus AVR
vienna acoustics

Postby tony22 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:03 pm

vienna acoustics wrote:P.s. I have heard that as kiseki order book is growing the quality is dropping to meet the demand in a reasonable time. For me it was 3,000 euro thrown away.

Yikes! :shock:
tony22

Postby soundwatts » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:31 am

I just purchased a Soundsmith Paua Mkii. Very pleased with the sound.
Prime Signature
Soundsmith Paua mkii
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum ii
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5
Bluesound Vault 2
CAL Icon Mk2 CD Player (no longer used after purchasing new Scout)
soundwatts

Postby fischerd » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:59 pm

I don't think Benz is still in business. From what I've been told from a dealer, the US distributor has not received a supply from BENZ in at least a year.

And this was another issue with Kiseki that I heard from a member on another forum. After ordering a Purpleheart from Music Direct, it has no life and channel separation in the sound, and there was a slight bend in the cantilever. After contacting Music Direct, they informed the customer to send it back and they will send out a new one. Then Music Direct now has responded and the customer has reported this: "Well. This has taken an unfortunate turn. Music Direct received the cartridge yesterday morning and told me that the new cartridge would be shipped by EOD today at the latest. Instead, they called me today to inform me that upon inspection they can't confirm the issue on their end. They now need to send the Purple Heart back to Kiseki (Japan) to confirm if the defect is a result of manufacturing quality. This has me extremely concerned after reading a similar situation where Kiseki refused to honor any issues with the cantilever. After spending $3200 I am now not expected to receive a response until the end of the month. MD tells me I have no other options at the moment."

It is unfortunate that product quality and customer service has been so abysmal by Kiseki. It is a great cartridge when working, but hard to support a company like this.
Last edited by fischerd on Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fischerd

Postby tony22 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:10 pm

Benz carts are readily available from overseas.
tony22

Postby Stringreen » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:36 pm

The Benz LPS is quite wonderful.....I have it on a 10 plastic arm/2nd pivot....don't have reason to look elswhere.
Stringreen

Postby tony22 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:54 am

I have an audio friend nearby who has a LP-S on a Prime Sig with the 10" 3D arm. Just beautiful sounding. However, I've run across some postings on other sites with at least one user who switched to a Sussurro Mk.II and indicating that he felt it was even better than the LP-S.
tony22

Next

Return to General Audio