Do I Need Room Treatments?

Re: Do I Need Room Treatments?

Postby Dorian » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:15 pm

I thought about this some more. I think I need to try and address that null at ~100hz before attempting to integrate the sub. Per Golear's advice I am going to experiment with moving the LS50s around and see what happens. I really like the suggestion of adding heavier curtains, but that's not going to fly with my wife unfortunately.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Mr_Putty » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:04 am

Dorian,
Check your walls for vibration at different places by lightly touching them with your fingers while noting bass response of different sources. You may need to kick the volume up a bit to feel them. If your overall frequency imaging is to your liking when you begin, a hot spot on a wall (bass notable vibration) you may want to dampen that wall area. There are various ways to do this including diy ones. (I’m doing the latter.) Then remeasure your response curve and compare it with what you measured previously. And of course listen from your favorite chair for any changes. I’ve damped one area so far with “mass” loading with a rectangular piece of stone held against the wall. A decrease in the boominess of the bass should be your first observation, followed by more clarity. Please post any conclusions you find, good or bad.
Mr_Putty

Postby Dorian » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Thanks Mr Putty I will investigate.

What I did do yesterday was try moving the LS50s around. See results below. I tried moving them out away from the front wall, closer to the listening positions, both plugged and unplugged. As you can see from the red and green graphs, that actually made things worse. I then moved the LS50 back towards the front wall, but then moved them further sideways towards their respective side walls, and that really seemed to improve things - the blue graph. Also shown on its own in second picture. I think I am going to leave them there now, and try and integrate the sub.

3 Grapsh.jpg
3 Grapsh.jpg (90.95 KiB) Viewed 535 times

Best One.jpg
Best One.jpg (67.08 KiB) Viewed 535 times
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Dorian » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:33 pm

For those that may be interested, I am giving up on trying to integrate the sub. No matter what I try, the system always sounds better without the sub on. I always seem to lose some of the detail and delicacy of the LS50s. So that's that. At least I can say I tried!
Dorian

Postby Golear » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:25 pm

That was my experience with subs, too.

You can do one thing, that I learned from the VMPS website. VMPS made some very interesting speakers, and the designer, Brian Cheney, was a very smart guy. He passed away suddenly and the company closed.

Cheney said that, if you have a small speaker on a stand, you can get more bass by creating a "beard" for the speaker. This will be piece of wood (or cardboard) that is the same width as the speaker, and goes from the bottom of the speaker to the floor. It does not need to be thick, super stiff, or anything like that.

The bass wave travels along the "beard" and hits the floor, and reflects into the listening area. Less of it gets diffracted around the enclosure and thus gets cancelled out.

I found that I got better bass, in tune and balanced with the rest of the bass from the speaker. I got everything that I wanted to get from the sub woofer, without the drawbacks. It won't match a subwoofer in terms of LF effects, but for music, it was great. The low note of a bass guitar is mostly around 40 Hz anyway.

PS: If you're not using the sub, take it out of the listening room. Otherwise, when it's off, it acts like a passive radiator and still affects the sound.
Golear

Postby bdp24 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:37 am

Speaking of VMPS and Brian Cheney, the magnetic-planar drivers used in some of his loudspeakers were made by Bruce Thigpen, whose Eminent Technology LFT-8b Harry has praised so highly.
bdp24

Previous

Return to General Audio