Why cables have a sound

Why cables have a sound

Postby Golear » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:42 pm

I just came across this:
https://audiobacon.net/2018/12/03/in-th ... ans-cable/

There are links to Belden's white papers. It is written by Galen Garies, a retired cable designer at Belden, who came up with a new cable range. I've not heard it and I have no idea about prices. But the white papers do have a lot of good info, that is not covered in audio articles or reviews (many of which just reproduce the gibberish written by the marketing departments of the cable companies).

I absolutely love the Belden 8402 wire - I use it as interconnect and as speaker wire. It's among the cheapest wires available, and I've yet to hear anything that beats it.

Here's the company site:
http://www.iconoclastcable.com/index.htm
Golear

Re: Why cables have a sound

Postby Pevo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:20 pm

For those looking for a more in depth discussion, the Iconoclast cables have been discussed for about three years (!) over at the PS Audio forum under the thread “Belden ICONCLAST Interconnects and Speaker Cabling” which is under the “Cables” subcategory. Belden originally was trying to act as the manufacturer and supplier, working through at first one dealer, then more recently a few others. Audiophiles were not there typical customer so they failed miserably. In the last couple of months Belden handed sales of the cables over to Blue Jeans Cables who had been assembling them (i.e., attaching connectors which is a difficult task) all along. Belden still makes the bulk wire since only they have the machinery to do the very complex weaving. As a result the Iconoclast are now readily available and less expensive (I’m being restrained in this “history” to avoid embaressing anyone). Many folks on the PS Audio site think these cables are an excellent value. One thing is for sure, Galen is a brilliant cable designer and he has the science to show what he did, no voodoo or snake oil. I haven’t tried them yet, but will In the near future now that they are cheaper and more available.
Pevo

Postby DonFrio » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:33 pm

$590 interconnects and $2000 speaker cables can go right to hell. theres nothing about the design or construction that warrants such a price for cables ever in my world, and Im someone who believes cables can in some places make a difference.
DonFrio

Postby Orchids1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:57 am

Don, How about $80,00 to $100,000 speaker cables courtesy of MIT. I posted my opinion that not only is it improbable that the cables improve audible sound, but that would-be purchasers might find less trivial and more responsible ways to use that kind of money. I was surprised to find that the post received a fair amount of criticism. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby leftside » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:48 pm

@Orchids1 Unfortunately this is the way many dealers make all their money these days - not on the actual hifi equipment. Many of the posters on the forums in support of such outrageous prices for strands of metal made in China and put in a fancy box are also connected to the hifi industry. Follow the money....

I'll be looking out for the Belden ICONCLAST from Blue Jeans Cables. Thanks to the OP for bringing this news to my attention.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Postby Pevo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:12 pm

DonFrio, I would agree to some extant that high priced cables can be evil, but I wouldn’t make a blanket statement in that respect. While I am not intimately familiar with the construction of the Iconoclast cables, they do have a fairly complex configuration and are wound on a very special machine. They also require significant time (more than an hour) to terminate so there is significant real cost in manufacturing them. I also know Blue Jeans Cables is not a high profit margin cable company unlike some, e.g., MIT. Having said that, if you feel that kind of money for cables, even if they do sound better (or just different), then that is your prerogative.
Pevo

Postby tony22 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:22 pm

I was part of the original ICONOCLAST beta test of ICs and speaker cables, from that PS Audio log running thread. I found them to be good in some ways in my system, and in some ways not as good as what I use. If I were to have picked anything of the bunch for replacement into my system it would have been the speaker cables, but they were so physically difficult to work with (stiff, hard to dress) that I didn't feel the improvement (and it was an improvement) was worth the significant cost. I didn't care for the XLR ICs, which I discovered later Ted Smith (the genius behind the DS DAC) had similar comments about. However, I have not heard the latest generation of these products, and I would like to hear them, as I understand the new XLRs have mitigated the characteristics that were identified by Ted and me. Galen listened, apparently.

Note, however, that Galen is a firm believer in the "loom" aspect of cables. His belief is the ICONOCLASTs work best when the whole system is so cabled. Audio rag writers have expressed similar opinions about such things. Having read through all of Galen's empirical information, if anyone could prove why that's the best option I think he could. He's quite bright, no ooga-booga. Everything he does is empirically driven.
Pass XP-20, AVA 600R, Shahinian Diapasons, PS Audio DMP & DS, VPI Avenger with 12" 3DR, Benz SL and L2, SS Zephyr Mk.2, Ortofon Quintet Mono, Pass XP-15, Logitech Touch, RSA Haley and PSA conditioning, PAD and AZ cables.
tony22

Return to General Audio