What LP's do you consider a must have?

Re: What LP's do you consider a must have?

Postby pvannest » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:24 pm

I just returned from North Dakota after spending some time with my daughter. Of course, I hit the thrift stores. Came home with about 15 albums. Some are iffy to say the least, but at an average cost of 37 cents, I was willing to take a chance. I did pick up a Mono set of Pablo Casals " Great Performances". It is a three album set that, seriously, has little or no wear. They looked brand new and after cleaning, there have been no nicks, scratches, or essentially no other service noise. Do not short change mono. Now if I could just afford a mono pick....
VPI Classic 2 with Classic 3 arm
Soundsmith Boheme
Project RPM 1.3 with Acrilic platter and speedbox
Sumiko EVO III
Bottlehead Eros with Mundorf output caps
Bottlehead BePree
Two mismatched 12" subs
Emotiva SPA2
Cambridge Topaz CD10
Magnepan 3.7i
pvannest

Postby MMMC » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:26 am

I am very surprised this LP has not been listed, so it is my duty to do so.

Kind of Blue-Miles Davis

This LP is an absolute "must have" for any serious listener of Jazz. The Columbia "6 eye" label has long been considered the collectors pressing to own, but I would like to submit what I consider a better pressing to own, and play. From the http://www.notnowmusic.com site, search for and order the 180 gram
"NOTLP220". It is a blue vinyl disc. I have owned several copies of this LP, and like this release the best.

BTW, I also own the 50th Anniversary Edition release on blue vinyl, that I have opened, but never played! I also believe that "Kind of Blue" recorded in 1959 is the "all time" most sold Jazz record! This one record changed Jazz forever!

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby fischerd » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:18 pm

I'm sure this is a wide ranging list for most, but there are a few iconic albums by a few iconic artists in each genre that would be a must have.

Everyone should have at least one Sinatra album - my vote would be an original or early mono pressing of his Capitol Songs for Swingin' Lovers (see my review of it here: https://gem.godaddy.com/s/c7831b?o=fm). One Nat King Cole would be needed - my vote would be After Midnight or Love is The Thing. One Ella Fitzgerald at least - my vote would be an original mono of Ella Sings the Gershwin Songbook Vol 1. (she won 1960 Grammy for her rendition of But Not For Me on that album). Her Ella & Louis Armstrong album is also a standout. Something by Billie Holiday is a must.

In the rock genre, I would say something by Billy Joel (my vote would easily be the Stranger album, but the Greatest Hits album is a good choice). Something by Van Morrison (probably Moondance)... Some other essentials most likely include something of Springsteen, Paul Simon/Simon & Garfunkel. I would certainly add Carole King's Tapestry and one of James Taylor (I prefer Mud Slide Slim). Most would probably put a Fleetwood Mac album in there, though not my absolute favorite.

Jazz - way too many to name unfortunately, so whatever your tastes dictate. Jazz Trio, Sax, solo piano, etc... That is a tough genre to scale down.

I would think having at least one album (whichever you prefer) of certain artists would be ideal - Beatles, Beach Boys, Elvis, Bob Dylan, etc... Then tailor the rest to your tastes. And we still haven't got to classical :lol: :D
fischerd

Postby bdp24 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:22 pm

If your taste includes what is now called Americana, at the top of the list are the first two albums by The Band---Music From Big Pink, and the s/t "brown" album. Both are available on Mobile Fidelity LP's, but the original lime green label Capitol Records pressings mastered by Robert Ludwig (look for "RL" etched into the LP run-out groove space by the label) are great. I found both in Mint- condition on ebay for less than $20 each. Fantastic, timeless music! Their 3rd and 4th albums---Stage Fright and Cahoots---are real good too.
bdp24

Postby Tirebiter » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:29 pm

Tis' a fine recording...one of many from the '60's that were well done...and more importantly recorded as it was without being over produced...

Supersession.jpg
Supersession.jpg (93.28 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
Attachments
Supersession.jpg
Supersession.jpg (93.28 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
TNT Jr, Graham Phantom III, ZYX Universe II LOMC, Tempo Electric Silver Phono Cable, Amazon B-lab Phonoamplifyer, Tom Evans - The Vibe, Lamm ML 2.1 Monoblocks, Avantgarde Duo Grosso....and a Thorens TD 160 Mk I in standby....
Tirebiter

Postby gene9p » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:25 am

MMMC wrote:I am very surprised this LP has not been listed, so it is my duty to do so.

Kind of Blue-Miles Davis

This LP is an absolute "must have" for any serious listener of Jazz. The Columbia "6 eye" label has long been considered the collectors pressing to own, but I would like to submit what I consider a better pressing to own, and play. From the http://www.notnowmusic.com site, search for and order the 180 gram
"NOTLP220". It is a blue vinyl disc. I have owned several copies of this LP, and like this release the best.

BTW, I also own the 50th Anniversary Edition release on blue vinyl, that I have opened, but never played! I also believe that "Kind of Blue" recorded in 1959 is the "all time" most sold Jazz record! This one record changed Jazz forever!

MMMC

this is the version to own
Attachments
md-1.jpg
md-1.jpg (401.49 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3