Record Collections

Record Collections

Postby WntrMute » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Show us your record collections! I'm interested in how you organize your collections as well. Do you have a system that works well for you?
Here is my jazz collection: My rock and blues collection is in my other listening room but is organized the same way. All records are entered in Discogs but unfortunately Discogs uses first names in their alphabetic listing while I use the last name. It isn't really a problem as I usually search Discogs for something and then know that the last name is where I have it filed. I've placed stickers on the sleeve that indicate something to me. The red ones are from a friend who is dying from a rare disease and I thought I'd keep his collection identifiable. The single stripe indicates "better than average" quality - either sonically of musically. The double stripes mean something really special using the same criteria.
WntrMute

Re: Record Collections

Postby DrumTemp » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Nice!!

Is the shelving Pine? And did you build the shelves yourself, or purchase it?
Avenger Reference, Graham Phantom III, Benz Micro LP S, AI Mod 3B, Pass Labs X250.8, Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT
DrumTemp

Postby WntrMute » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:15 pm

It is the IKEA IVAR line. It comes in 12 and 16 inch depths and 11 as well as 32 inch lengths (I think). It is unfinished so it needs a coat of stain, paint or some sort of sealer to look finished. I use shellac with really no prep. Just brush it on and it dries in a few minutes. Turns a little honey colored with time. The shelves and uprights can be purchased separately. No signs of sagging even with the long shelves after years. I like the shorter ones for the collection as I like the built in dividers. I usually put in a piece of molding like 1/4 round into each "bin" to keep the records aligned with the front of the unit . Very little bracing is needed but IKEA has a wire cross brace that should be used.
WntrMute

Postby sawboy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:55 pm

WntrMute:

Your photo is gone from your post. I would like to see your set-up.

I also use Discogs. I file by first name, but break down the shelving into jazz/mono, jazz/stereo, classical/mono, etc. My collection is only about QTY (250) and growing.
VPI Prime | JMW-10 w/ Miyajima Zero Mono | JMW-10-3D w/ Charisma MC-1 | Bob's Devices Integrated SUT | Phoenix Roadrunner-Eagle | McIntosh MA6500 Integrated Amplifier | McIntosh MR-71 | Klipsch Cornwall III |
sawboy

Postby baddog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:24 pm

I am a big Discogs fan as well, makes cataloging very easy, much better than manually typing into a spreadsheet.

That being said, I still have duplicates and triplicates of some items.... :?
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
baddog

Postby luckydog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:01 pm

My collection is about 600 LPs, but I think I'm done adding to it. Love vinyl, but most new purchases seem to be CD or SACD for the convenience.

At my last place, LPs were stored in the living room, so my wife and I wanted something that looked good. IKEA Traby shelving with doors was the perfect solution, and I also bought two of the smaller Traby cubes for overflow storage in a closet.

But now we're in a new place and I have my own home office/listening room, so I can keep everything together. I still love the Traby, but wish I had two of the larger units (4 cubes) instead of the current mish mash. Oh, well.

I just organize them according to genre - classical, jazz, folk, rock, etc. The collection is small enough that I don't have much trouble finding what I want.
Attachments
IMG_4974.JPG
IMG_4974.JPG (101.78 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
IMG_4975.JPG
IMG_4975.JPG (109.61 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
luckydog

Postby mreeter » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:50 pm

Very efficient set-up! Looks great! I have a small Vinyl collection of around 400 LP's. I only buy used records that are rated very close to Mint or purchase new re-released pressings. I've tried not to buy a lot of Vinyl, just for the sake of ownership.

I recently finished up my storage rack that will hold approx. 400-450 LP's, it will serve me just fine.

IMG_1350.JPG
IMG_1350.JPG (108.88 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
VPI Classic Signature SE/Soundsmith Zephyr
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
Rogue Audio M-180 Monoblock Amps
Dynaudio Contour S3.4LE
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun Wires
mreeter

Postby adeep42 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:33 pm

That is just beautiful, and so practical.
Prime #631
Symposium Footer Damping Inserts
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre & Mono-blocks
Martin Logan Summit X's
Cambridge Audio 752BD
adeep42

Postby WntrMute » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:56 pm

sawboy wrote:WntrMute:

Your photo is gone from your post. I would like to see your set-up.

I also use Discogs. I file by first name, but break down the shelving into jazz/mono, jazz/stereo, classical/mono, etc. My collection is only about QTY (250) and growing.

That's weird. It shows up when I log in but not when I visit the site from another computer. Here it is again: Image
WntrMute

Postby baddog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:46 am

Your picture is still not showing up...
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
baddog

Next

Return to Just For The Record