How Flat is Flat?

How Flat is Flat?

Postby smashatoms » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:40 pm

Simple question: What degree of warp in a new record is acceptable? None? .1mm? .5mm? More?

It’s surprising how many of the new records I purchase aren’t truly flat. Actually, my Goodwill finds probably yield better results!

At what point is a record warped enough that you send it back for a replacement?

Cheers,
Smash
Prime/Audio Musikraft-Denon DL-103/Altec Peerless 4722 SUT
Phoenix Eagle/SS Periphery Ring & Weight
George Wright WPL-20 phono/pre
George Wright AU-15 monos (PP-2A3)
Holo Audio Spring DAC L3
Rogers LS3/5A & LSB1, Fostex FE166ES-R in BLH
smashatoms

Re: How Flat is Flat?

Postby Golear » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:28 pm

If I can hear it, I'd return it if I could. That may depend on the cartridge and the length of the tonearm.
Golear

Postby Dorian » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:09 am

If I can see the headshell move up and down, that’s too much for me! The periphery ring does help smooth out most minor warps for me, so I’m not returning many.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:19 am

If I can see the woofers pumping, it’s too warped.

If the stylus gets thrown through the lead in groove straight into the program, it’s too warped for me.

I picked up a used periphery ring a couple of months ago. It helps if the warp isn’t too bad.
Peer Gynt

Postby Brf » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:02 am

I buy most of my records from 2 local dealer who allow me open the album up and place it on their TT to evaluate the condition prior to purchase. Lately, I have had a string of good luck and most are perfectly flat.

If the album is used and out of print, I am more tolerant on warps, with new issues, not as much.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:54 am

Just initiated a return at Amazon for the Diana Krall/Tony Bennett album. It was a roller coaster. At the same time I had just opened a still sealed 1982 Mose Allison ‎– Middle Class White Boy and it was perfectly flat even after all these years.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby gene9p » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:40 am

spinblackcircle wrote:Just initiated a return at Amazon for the Diana Krall/Tony Bennett album. It was a roller coaster. At the same time I had just opened a still sealed 1982 Mose Allison ‎– Middle Class White Boy and it was perfectly flat even after all these years.

I got the red vinyl version at Barnes and Noble in store..no problems here
Attachments
Kand B.jpg
Kand B.jpg (71.11 KiB) Viewed 673 times
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby kurtster » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:40 am

If it's dish warped it goes back. Same with a lip warp. Otherwise, I see how it plays and how bad.

Lately, the dish warp or bowl warp has been the most common I have encountered with new releases. I do plan on buying a http://vinylflat.com/ by the year's end to try and deal with some of the stuff I already have, mostly lip warps in gatefolds.
kurtster

Postby DeeCee » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:10 pm

Funny... Morty asked the same thing... (NSFW)

phpBB [video]
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Return to Just For The Record