They went digital, would you?

They went digital, would you?

Postby Mr_Putty » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:42 pm

The early commitments to go digital with recording devices was a risky decision. There is a long thread about the reasoning involved and a company that formed because of it. What they did might surprise you.

https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/whi ... ou-choose/
Mr_Putty

Re: They went digital, would you?

Postby 10ovr » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:44 pm

I have about 2000 CDs laying around so I thought I would try the Perfect Wave CD player and the Direct Stream DAC and gotta tell ya it sounds great,, Running it through Zesto tube pre amp and amp with REL S/3 subs with Focal Sopra No2 speakers ,,Still waiting to see the HW 40th anniversary TT to see If I want to add it to this system ,,I wish Harry or Mat would post some pix of it,,,,,,,,,,,For me I love the sound of CDs and Vinyl ,Just depends on what mood Im in,,, :D ImageIMG_1325 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr
10ovr

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:55 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:The early commitments to go digital with recording devices was a risky decision. There is a long thread about the reasoning involved and a company that formed because of it. What they did might surprise you.

First, I have to say that I like digital recordings as a rule. Brothers in Arms, for example, is incredible on vinyl even though it was recorded and mixed digitally.

With that said, I think the very best, most musical recordings that I own are predigital era. If you can ignore the tape hiss, the music is magical.
Peer Gynt

Postby mreeter » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:52 am

10ovr wrote:I have about 2000 CDs laying around so I thought I would try the Perfect Wave CD player and the Direct Stream DAC and gotta tell ya it sounds great,, Running it through Zesto tube pre amp and amp with REL S/3 subs with Focal Sopra No2 speakers ,,Still waiting to see the HW 40th anniversary TT to see If I want to add it to this system ,,I wish Harry or Mat would post some pix of it,,,,,,,,,,,For me I love the sound of CDs and Vinyl ,Just depends on what mood Im in,,, :D ImageIMG_1325 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr

Second system? I've been saving my pennies in hopes of picking up the Direct Stream combo one day, exceptional Digital :o
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby 10ovr » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:51 am

mreeter wrote:
10ovr wrote:I have about 2000 CDs laying around so I thought I would try the Perfect Wave CD player and the Direct Stream DAC and gotta tell ya it sounds great,, Running it through Zesto tube pre amp and amp with REL S/3 subs with Focal Sopra No2 speakers ,,Still waiting to see the HW 40th anniversary TT to see If I want to add it to this system ,,I wish Harry or Mat would post some pix of it,,,,,,,,,,,For me I love the sound of CDs and Vinyl ,Just depends on what mood Im in,,, :D ImageIMG_1325 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr

Second system? I've been saving my pennies in hopes of picking up the Direct Stream combo one day, exceptional Digital :o

Yup second sys,,At my Cabin in the AZ White Mountains,,No Phone,TV,or Internet ,,Just Rock And Roll ,,My safe space :o ,,It took a year to find and build this system at less then half the cost of new,,,,
10ovr

Postby mreeter » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:26 am

10ovr wrote:
mreeter wrote:

Yup second sys,,At my Cabin in the AZ White Mountains,,No Phone,TV,or Internet ,,Just Rock And Roll ,,My safe space :o ,,It took a year to find and build this system at less then half the cost of new,,,,

Where’s the ‘Like’ button? Saweet, Rock on!
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
mreeter

Postby gene9p » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:34 am

are those sneakers or some new type of room treatment ???...lol. :P
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .4v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby 10ovr » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:56 am

mreeter wrote:

When you get ready to buy let me know,,I can hook you up to save you about 4500.00 bucks new,,, :D
10ovr

Postby mreeter » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:37 pm

10ovr wrote:
mreeter wrote:

When you get ready to buy let me know,,I can hook you up to save you about 4500.00 bucks new,,, :D

Sure looks like you're "roughen' it" in that Cabin :lol: When (if) I ever get ready to buy, I will definitely look you up!
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
mreeter

Postby Peer Gynt » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:03 pm

This is another picture like what was shown the other day, where the speakers are obviously extremely close to the wall.

Am I just out to lunch (as usual) and missed the memo on how to make such placement give a reasonable bass response or a reasonable soundstage?

Or are these systems blessed with appropriate software fixes to mitigate the obvious problems of speaker placement?

Or am I just the only one who is curious about why I can't place speakers in this manner and expect to be pleased with the result?

Or ... Or ... Or ... ?

Inquiring minds really want to know...
Peer Gynt

Next

Return to Just For The Record