Record grading question for those with multiple TT's

Record grading question for those with multiple TT's

Postby kurtster » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:37 pm

I moved this question over here from the General Audio threads because this might be a more appropriate place and have more members here who might be inclined to think about this more than others.

This is a question for those that buy used records and have a spare TT with a basic elliptical stylus for testing out questionable purchases before playing anything on your good rigs and risking your main stylus.

I assume that most any decent line contact stylus will be more revealing and pick up the tiniest of ticks and what not more than a basic serviceable elliptical stylus. At least this is what I have heard / read. Are elliptical's that much more forgiving ? I ask because I am selling off my collection piece meal on discogs and trying to grade as close as possible to the Goldmine standard. I have a Shibata stylus and it picks up everything as we would well expect. I do not want to undergrade beyond reason.

So in anyone's experience have you found this to be true using a test TT for questionable purchases before using your good stuff afterwards ? If need be I would get an ATVM95EN just for the purpose of accurately play grading for the general public.

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/cart ... index.html

Any insight would be appreciated.
kurt
kurtster

Re: Record grading question for those with multiple TT's

Postby seamonster » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:56 pm

Kurtster, my personal belief is that the highest-quality cartridge available to you should be used to determine such grading.

Smnstr
seamonster

Postby kurtster » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:29 pm

seamonster wrote:Kurtster, my personal belief is that the highest-quality cartridge available to you should be used to determine such grading.

Smnstr

Thanks.

Yes, that is the correct answer. Which I already knew. I am / was hoping to find a happy and honest medium average for grading, if that is even possible.

Over here, everyone looks at vinyl petty much the same way I do. Over there in discogs, it is a whole different world. It is the wild, wild west where many think that a Crosley is an excellent turntable. This question / discussion just came up again from a new seller and it is a question that I have been asking for several years myself since I first went there. I have never received much of a response from anyone there that meant anything. So I figured that I would run it up the flagpole over here.

Noise from wear and tear on vinyl is as old as the Medium itself. I'm not looking to discuss modern pressings or cleaning which are whole minefields by themselves. It is just that the better the rig, the more noise we will likely hear or different noise, and at what level does that dramatically change is the real question, I suppose. I know that many people will have a second TT that they will play risky purchases on first before risking the good stuff. So I was curious to find out what their experiences have found. Conversely, I have also heard that great MC carts will be more forgiving to pops and clicks. In our pursuit of analogue nirvana most of us have forgotten what modest equipment can sound like and how it performs. That is why I pose the question and to those who might still have such equipment to test drive those risky purchases, or have them to play an old lovingly worn Blue Note Jazz record that is worth listening to even with all the wear and tear that might come with them. Or maybe a lesser grade cart on a second tonearm.

I administer a group over there that is dedicated to ripping vinyl and we field a lot of questions from newbies.

https://www.discogs.com/group/8467

Over here I find much higher level of sound advice (no pun intended) to get my listening experience to as high of a level as I can afford and have the patience to make so. Then apply it and try to help others along their way.

Cheers !
kurtster

Postby seamonster » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:54 pm

"Which I already knew."

I figured you did. I've only had one elliptical stylus during the previous thirty-five years. It was a Nagaoka MP200 with the same specs as the AT stylus you mention, 3X7. This was about five years ago. I used it for a couple of months, and, best I can recall, it didn't soften, or lessen the number of blows found in a used record. I returned to using a line-contact afterward. Maybe the AT95 will give you different results. Sorry I can't help further.
seamonster

Postby kurtster » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:13 am

Thanks again for your reply.

You have satisfied my curiosity for the most part. I can now move on to other things. This question has long bothered me, obviously. I figured that I would pose the question here on the basis that the dumbest question is the one not asked and that someone would come up with a reasoned response. Similar to asking about the Geo Disc. If I had not, I never would have found out about Yip's Mint protractors.

The occupation of loving music is full of myths, mysteries and misinformation that can lead one astray or down the wrong path at times and distract from being able to simply enjoy the music.
Cheers,
kurt
kurtster

Return to Just For The Record