What are you listening to right now...

Re: What are you listening to right now...

Postby adeep42 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:04 pm

Thanks Gene,

Could be but I don't think so. Village Gate was more folk oriented. Wherever it was much of the repertoire was from the Mingus Ah Um album that was released in 1959.

Alan
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Eden Sound TerraCone Footers
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre & Mono-blocks
Martin Logan Summit X's
adeep42

Postby jonathanb » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:30 pm

Maybe the Music Box? I can't find much info about it online but it was located at 121 W. 3rd from 1950-1972. The Blue Note is at 131 W.3rd, just a couple doors away.

Also, it turns out Mingus played the Village Gate in 1969.
Prime Signature #9 | 10" 3DR/VdH RG-8 | 10" 3DR/Transfiguration Phoenix S | 10" 3D/VAS Nova Mono | Aurorasound ViDA | Gryphon XT MC | Gryphon M100 (x2) | Evolution Acoustics MicroOne | Morrow and Gryphon cables
jonathanb

Postby adeep42 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:40 am

jonathanb,

You are doing some great research. I suspect you could be right about the Music Box. When ever I do go to The Blue Note these days, I'm aware that the stage is on the long East wall. My remembrance of seeing Mingus has the stage on the short North wall Probably the difference is 121 West 3rd vs. 131 West 3rd.

This has been fun.

Best regards,

Alan
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
Martin Logan Summit X's
adeep42

Postby MMMC » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:24 am

Because "Mingus" was mentioned, his "THREE OR FOUR SHADES OF BLUES" LP can not go un-mentioned. The cast of musicians on this LP is very long, and are all absolutely incredible musicians. All selected titles played were written by Charles Mingus.
The Mingus group is, Charles Mingus-Bass, Ricky Ford-Tenor Sax, Bob Neloms-Piano, Danny Richmond-Drums, Jack Walrath-Trumpet
Guest Musicians; Philip Catherine-Guitar, George Coleman-Alto and Tenor Sax, Larry Coryell-guitar, Sonny Fortune-Alto Sax, Jimmy Rowles-Piano, John Scofield-Guitar, Ron Carter, Bass

I continue to hunt for a "new" unopened copy of this LP, even though mine is still in very good playback condition, just in case something happens.

MMMC
PS: Below is a great breakdown of the order of all the many solosist's on each song, and you really do need this if you want to know how is solo-ing, on each song.
Side 1
Better Git Hit In Your Soul
Soloist [1st] – Charles Mingus Soloist [2nd] – Larry Coryell Soloist [3rd] – Larry Coryell, Philip CatherineSoloist [4th] – Ricky Ford
4:35
Goodbye, Porkpie Hat
Soloist [1st] – George MrazSoloist [2nd] – Larry Coryell Soloist [3rd] –Philip CatherineSoloist [4th] –George ColemanSoloist [5th] –Charles
Mingus Soloist [6th]– Larry Coryell, Philip Catherine
7:00
Noddin Ya Head Blues
Soloist [1st] – Bob NelomsSoloist [2nd] – George ColemanSoloist [3rd] – Larry CoryellSoloist [4th] – Ricky FordSoloist [5th] – Philip CatherineSoloist [6th] – Charles Mingus
10:29
Side 2
Three Or Four Shades Of Blues
Soloist [1st] – John ScofieldSoloist – Jack WalrathSoloist [2nd] – Bob NelomsSoloist [3rd] – Jimmy RowlesSoloist [4th] – Bob NelomsSoloist [5th] – Jack WalrathSoloist [6th] – Ricky FordSoloist [7th] – Larry CoryellSoloist [8th] – Charles MingusSoloist [9th] – George Coleman
12:03
Nobody Knows
Soloist [1st] – Sonny Fortune [2nd] – John ScofieldSoloist [3rd] – Jack WalrathSoloist [4th] – Philip CatherineSoloist [5th] – Ricky Ford
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby adeep42 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:15 pm

One of the really great Mingus Albums. I remember buying it at J & R on Park Row in Lower Manhattan.

MMMC strikes again!!!!!!!!!!
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
Martin Logan Summit X's
adeep42

Postby MMMC » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:27 am

For anyone who may be interested, there is a great video posted on the web titled "Charles Mingus Live in Belgium '64." The members of that group are, Charles Mingus-Bass; Jaki Byard-Piano; Danny Richmond-Drums;Johnny Coles-Trumpet, Clifford Jordan-Tenor Sax; and Eric Dolphy-Flute, Alto Sax, Bass Clarinet. It's long, with a studio session, a live concert, and an empty concert hall session. It really displays how hard Mingus was always working on his Bass no matter when he played, or where he played. Living on the West Coast kept my attended Mingus concerts to three, which was my loss!
MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby VinBob » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:03 pm

MMMC wrote:Image

Because "Mingus" was mentioned, his "THREE OR FOUR SHADES OF BLUES" LP can not go un-mentioned. The cast of musicians on this LP is very long, and are all absolutely incredible musicians. All selected titles played were written by Charles Mingus.
The Mingus group is, Charles Mingus-Bass, Ricky Ford-Tenor Sax, Bob Neloms-Piano, Danny Richmond-Drums, Jack Walrath-Trumpet
Guest Musicians; Philip Catherine-Guitar, George Coleman-Alto and Tenor Sax, Larry Coryell-guitar, Sonny Fortune-Alto Sax, Jimmy Rowles-Piano, John Scofield-Guitar, Ron Carter, Bass

I continue to hunt for a "new" unopened copy of this LP, even though mine is still in very good playback condition, just in case something happens.

MMMC
PS: Below is a great breakdown of the order of all the many solosist's on each song, and you really do need this if you want to know how is solo-ing, on each song.
Side 1
Better Git Hit In Your Soul
Soloist [1st] – Charles Mingus Soloist [2nd] – Larry Coryell Soloist [3rd] – Larry Coryell, Philip CatherineSoloist [4th] – Ricky Ford
4:35
Goodbye, Porkpie Hat
Soloist [1st] – George MrazSoloist [2nd] – Larry Coryell Soloist [3rd] –Philip CatherineSoloist [4th] –George ColemanSoloist [5th] –Charles
Mingus Soloist [6th]– Larry Coryell, Philip Catherine
7:00
Noddin Ya Head Blues
Soloist [1st] – Bob NelomsSoloist [2nd] – George ColemanSoloist [3rd] – Larry CoryellSoloist [4th] – Ricky FordSoloist [5th] – Philip CatherineSoloist [6th] – Charles Mingus
10:29
Side 2
Three Or Four Shades Of Blues
Soloist [1st] – John ScofieldSoloist – Jack WalrathSoloist [2nd] – Bob NelomsSoloist [3rd] – Jimmy RowlesSoloist [4th] – Bob NelomsSoloist [5th] – Jack WalrathSoloist [6th] – Ricky FordSoloist [7th] – Larry CoryellSoloist [8th] – Charles MingusSoloist [9th] – George Coleman
12:03
Nobody Knows
Soloist [1st] – Sonny Fortune [2nd] – John ScofieldSoloist [3rd] – Jack WalrathSoloist [4th] – Philip CatherineSoloist [5th] – Ricky Ford

Thanks for the recommendation MMMC - I had a listen on Spotify and I just ordered a Promo copy on Discogs in NM- condition for both media and sleeve - will be interesting to see what it actually looks like when I receive it but very excited to hear this on vinyl on my Prime. Hopefully, it cleans up and plays nice :)
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B3 Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Martin Logan Dynamo 800x | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby MMMC » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:32 am

Vinbob,

Congrats on your purchase of "Three or Four Shades of the Blues". I did not know you were a Jazz enthusiast, and a Mingus fan. I hope you enjoy the music of Mingus half much as I always do. I have never purchased LP's from the Discogs site, so I jumped on their site, and was very surprised by the large used inventory available of that Mingus LP. Amazon would be my "go to" source if I was looking to make a used LP purchase because there is generally a comment from the seller on the condition of the LP, AND you are pretty much assured of being able to get a refund if the LP does not meet the described condition. Please share your purchase and listening experience with your Discogs purchase.
MMMC
MMMC

Postby adeep42 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:31 pm

MMMC,

I'm a big fan of Discogs. I use it for cataloging my collection, I buy from time to time, and I sell. If you're a dishonorable seller, you won't last very long due to bad feedback.
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
Martin Logan Summit X's
adeep42

Postby VinBob » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:52 am

MMMC wrote:Vinbob,

Congrats on your purchase of "Three or Four Shades of the Blues". I did not know you were a Jazz enthusiast, and a Mingus fan. I hope you enjoy the music of Mingus half much as I always do. I have never purchased LP's from the Discogs site, so I jumped on their site, and was very surprised by the large used inventory available of that Mingus LP. Amazon would be my "go to" source if I was looking to make a used LP purchase because there is generally a comment from the seller on the condition of the LP, AND you are pretty much assured of being able to get a refund if the LP does not meet the described condition. Please share your purchase and listening experience with your Discogs purchase.
MMMC

Thanks MMMC. TBH, I like all sorts of music genres and maybe I don't fully appreciate Mingus like you do, but it sounded great to me digitally and thought it can only sound a lot better on vinyl! ;)

My experiences with Discogs has been mostly positive with one or two which were disappointing and IMO, didn't match the condition as advertised. The seller will typically work to make things right in either offering a partial refund or refund in full - you would typically have to pay for the shipping back. I always try to look for well established sellers with 4-5 star ratings and reviews in the hundreds or in this case, thousands.

I'll update once I receive the LP and fingers crossed it is in the NM- 'superb condition' as advertised...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-26/MPS-2 & 4B3 Cubed | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Martin Logan Dynamo 800x | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

PreviousNext

Return to Just For The Record