Great Sounding "Alternative" Music on Vinyl

Re: Great Sounding "Alternative" Music on Vinyl

Postby twentyhertz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:22 am

If you expand “Alternative” (which I associate with the 90s) to Indie, there are a ton of great modern releases on vinyl. Elbow’s last 2 releases are both brilliantly recorded and good pressings ( the Take Off and Landing of Everything is even worth dealing with 45 RPM). El Vy’s record (singer from the National) sounds great. The Raconteurs “Consolers of the Lonely” is a great Hi-Fi show off record. Radiohead’s “In Rainbows”. The National’s “Trouble will Find Me” gets played on my TTs so often it’s probablh got worn grooves. If your tastes run heavier, the Melvin’s “the Bride Screamed Murder” and Cursive’s “Gemini” both rock on vinyl. There’s a whole world of music out there, man! 8-)
twentyhertz

Postby leftside » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:59 am

We were going to "Alternative" clubs in the UK in the 80's and 90's. Back then it was The Sisters of Mercy, The Cult, Ministry, The Mission, The Damned, The Ramones, Dead Kennedys, The Cramps, Fields of the Nephilim, New Model Army, New Order, etc. All still sound good on vinyl :) Maybe "Alternative" was different in the US? Most clubs that advertised "Alternative" in the UK were Alternative/Goth/Industrial/Punk clubs. One is still going strong!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slimelight
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Postby MOON » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:12 am

Incubus - Morning View sounds fantastic. Highly recommended! !
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Postby mdp0430 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:08 pm

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

I've acquired 10,000 maniacs, Pixies Doolittle, R.E.M. Document and INXS Listen Like Thieves on MoFi. I also have Counting Crows and Gin Blossoms on Analogue Productions. I'm currently looking for good pressings of Depeche Mode's Violator, The The Dusk and the Stone Roses. The new Police boxed set sounds promising.

That Jeff Buckley Grace you guys are talking about is approaching upwards of $300, I have the 2010 Columbia pressing.
mdp0430

Postby Dorian » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:05 pm

mdp0430 wrote:I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

I've acquired 10,000 maniacs, Pixies Doolittle, R.E.M. Document and INXS Listen Like Thieves on MoFi. I also have Counting Crows and Gin Blossoms on Analogue Productions. I'm currently looking for good pressings of Depeche Mode's Violator, The The Dusk and the Stone Roses. The new Police boxed set sounds promising.

That Jeff Buckley Grace you guys are talking about is approaching upwards of $300, I have the 2010 Columbia pressing.

I just ordered the Police box set today, based on the excellent reviews on the steve hoffman forum.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Previous

Return to Just For The Record