New Scout = Baby Prime

Re: New Scout = Baby Prime

Postby elader » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:09 am

Packgrog wrote:Some surprising negativity here. From the looks of it, the this new deck looks superior to the current Scout (better feet, better stock motor, upgraded tonearm, sleeker look), assuming the specs on this not-officially-released page are finalized. Feel free to send one my way! I certainly wouldn't be complaining! ;)

same arm as the current scout. The motor is a better thing. Not sure about the feet. If they are solid delrin or some form of classic feet - Jury is out on being better.

But swoopy sells. No harm in modernizing the fleet.
VPI Prime, Benz Micro Glider, Phoenix tach, VPI SDS, Parks SUT
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A pre, Primaluna Prologue Five Amp
REGA Apollo, PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
KEF R300 sprks, pangea stands, SVS SB12 sub
Bluejean audio cables, Silnote AC cables
elader

Postby Orchids1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:25 am

Well, VPI is definitely developing a signature look that runs through the entire line. I like the look, and I understand the branding objective. However, I think I would like the line better, if there were a few more style cues and slightly more obvious design differences to distinguish the individual models, consistent with an overall theme. While most of their turntables are not in the same class, I think both Rega and ProJect do this very well. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby Packgrog » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:09 pm

Orchids1 wrote:Well, VPI is definitely developing a signature look that runs through the entire line. I like the look, and I understand the branding objective. However, I think I would like the line better, if there were a few more style cues and slightly more obvious design differences to distinguish the individual models, consistent with an overall theme. While most of their turntables are not in the same class, I think both Rega and ProJect do this very well. Rich

I disagree that there aren't enough style cue differences. New Scout has a different arm, smaller platter, and no plinth-top feet caps compared to Prime, much like the difference between Scout Jr. and Scout. Prime Signature has the doubled-up plinth sandwich making it easily distinguishable from the standard Prime. Seems pretty easy to tell these apart. Certainly more distinguishing features than the Rega P1, P2, and P3!
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby Orchids1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:37 pm

That's what makes horse races.
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby MMMC » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Packgrog wrote:
Orchids1 wrote:Well, VPI is definitely developing a signature look that runs through the entire line. I like the look, and I understand the branding objective. However, I think I would like the line better, if there were a few more style cues and slightly more obvious design differences to distinguish the individual models, consistent with an overall theme. While most of their turntables are not in the same class, I think both Rega and ProJect do this very well. Rich

I disagree that there aren't enough style cue differences. New Scout has a different arm, smaller platter, and no plinth-top feet caps compared to Prime, much like the difference between Scout Jr. and Scout. Prime Signature has the doubled-up plinth sandwich making it easily distinguishable from the standard Prime. Seems pretty easy to tell these apart. Certainly more distinguishing features than the Rega P1, P2, and P3!

Packrog,

Suggest you take a look at what the original VPI Scout turntable offered customers, as it was the source of Art Dudley's review comments quoted. I owned one. The only substantial new feature is the 9 inch 3D arm is listed as an option. Perspective is very valuable.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Packgrog » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:07 pm

Huh? I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make.
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby MMMC » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:20 pm

Packgrog wrote:Huh? I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make.

My humble apology. No intention to offend.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby bhjazz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:06 am

I think it's great that the picture of the Scout has also been replace on the dealership pages.

I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on the Scout on Christmas Day like I had planned. This looks like an interesting change. :)
bhjazz

Postby husafreak » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:59 pm

So is the 9" 3D arm shipping now?
I like this table, It looks great. I wouldn't replace my Scout II with it as I think they are very similar but I like the quality it and the Scout share in a small footprint table. I will be interested in the feet it uses and the 3D arm as possible upgrades for my Scout II.
VPI Scout 2/Sumiko Blackbird/VPI Periphery Ring/Pheonix Falcon PSU/Timber Nation Maple Isolation Platform/Target Wall Stand/VPI HW-16.5/Ortofon 6NX-TSW-1010/Krell KSL/KSL phono/KST/XLOPro/Harbeth SHL5+
husafreak

Postby Waxxy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:12 pm

Packgrog wrote:Some surprising negativity here. From the looks of it, the this new deck looks superior to the current Scout (better feet, better stock motor, upgraded tonearm, sleeker look), assuming the specs on this not-officially-released page are finalized. Feel free to send one my way! I certainly wouldn't be complaining! ;)

The arm is the same, the motor is probably the same-just a different enclosure, and the feet being better has yet to be proven. It does look different though.
Waxxy

PreviousNext

Return to News