VPI Cartridge Recommendations

Re: VPI Cartridge Recommendations

Postby Packgrog » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:41 am

Spsesq wrote:https://image.ibb.co/c41HnF/IMG_0066.jpg
I just had a Dynavector 10x5 retipped with a boron cantilever and linear contact nude stylus. Mounted on my spare JMW-9 memorial arm wand. Sounds amazing!

Nice! I sold my Dyna 10x5 a couple of years ago after I bent the cantilever to someone who had it retipped. I've been looking in to some retipping places, including the one that my buyer had me send it to (Needle Clinic), since I'm concerned that my AT33PTG/II may be worn out (or possibly I just did a poor job of alignment, but finances are still a limiting factor on me getting a proper protractor). Since the PTG already has a boron cantilever, I don't think much would change if I sent it to Needle Clinic, and hopefully his line contact is similar enough to Audio Technica's Microline profile. But the switch to that from the aluminum cantilever and elliptical stylus on the Dyna would likely be a very nice upgrade! I'd found the stock 10x5 to be nice and thumpy but lacking in grace and clarity (could be other factors in my never-quite-right setup, too). The idea of the cantilever swap for one of the neanderthal cudgel-like carts that I had previously (10x5, Stanton 680EL, Denon DL-110) makes me somewhat upset that I sold them off. There was much that I liked about each of them that could have been greatly improved upon with a rebuild. Oh well.

Did you ever get to do before/after comparisons between stock and rebuild on the Dyna?
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Previous

Return to News