VPI Cartridge Recommendations

VPI Cartridge Recommendations

Postby Mat » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:42 am

Here is a link to our cartridge - table recommendations. These are carts that we have used in our listening room and have tested them through and through. Hope this helps a bit with all of the choices out there. This does not disqualify any carts not mentioned, it just means we personally haven't demoed it yet.

http://vpiindustries.com/cartridge.html
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Re: VPI Cartridge Recommendations

Postby Brf » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:30 am

I am surprised not to see any Dynavector cartridges recommended especially considering the fact that VPI once sold a special edition of the 20xl series.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Mat » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:04 am

Yeah that was an oversight :P Can I blame old age yet?
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby husafreak » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:51 pm

Pretty cool to see that list. What a great tool.
During my search for a new cartridge for my new Scout 2 I became concerned about compatibility issues. I didn't even realize it could be a factor until my dealer told me not to buy a particular cartridge for that reason. He recommended the BB (among others) for my Scout. Now quite concerned I asked on this forum and Harry himself said the BB would be fine. I also see it now on your list. I do not see the cartridge recommended against. So in my case at least your new "cartridge list" would certainly have answered my compatibility question and put my mind at ease right up front. It works for me! Thanks for having the cajones to do that!
husafreak

Postby Brf » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:42 am

Mat, other than the link that you have provided in your original post, there is no way to navigate to the cartridge recommendation listing from the main VPI site.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Marc » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:21 am

Brf wrote:Mat, other than the link that you have provided in your original post, there is no way to navigate to the cartridge recommendation listing from the main VPI site.

The link is featured on every table's page. We did not want to have too many buttons at the top of the site!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI Aries 3D| Ortofon Quintet Black| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Postby Brf » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:36 am

Got it. Makes sense. Thx
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Marc » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:45 am

Brf wrote:Got it. Makes sense. Thx

No Problem! Thank you for double checking it with us.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI Aries 3D| Ortofon Quintet Black| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Postby wolfyboy359 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi Mat, I was just curious about the cartridge recommendations for the Nomad and Scout Jr. It shows the 2M Red which comes premounted on both of those turntables, I believe. But then it shows just the 2M Black Needle only. Implying it is compatible with the 2M Red Cartridge body. I don't think it is. According to the Ortofon Website the 2M Red and Blue are interchangable and the 2M Bronze and Black are interchangable. But it doesn't say that any other combination is possible. Am I wrong about that? I would like to know because I have a Scout Jr. and the upgrade from my 2M Blue needle to the 2M black needle would be easy for me and probably result in good sound according to VPI. Thanks!
wolfyboy359

Postby Marc » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:46 pm

wolfyboy359 wrote:Hi Mat, I was just curious about the cartridge recommendations for the Nomad and Scout Jr. It shows the 2M Red which comes premounted on both of those turntables, I believe. But then it shows just the 2M Black Needle only. Implying it is compatible with the 2M Red Cartridge body. I don't think it is. According to the Ortofon Website the 2M Red and Blue are interchangable and the 2M Bronze and Black are interchangable. But it doesn't say that any other combination is possible. Am I wrong about that? I would like to know because I have a Scout Jr. and the upgrade from my 2M Blue needle to the 2M black needle would be easy for me and probably result in good sound according to VPI. Thanks!

We have tried this (swapping red and black) out in our listening room and it works. While we don't know if it is suggested to do it, Harry was using it with no problem.
-Marc
Marc
Site Admin

Next

Return to News