VPI Cartridge Recommendations

Re: VPI Cartridge Recommendations

Postby Orchids1 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:38 am

Jack, There are several threads here in the Forum on recommended phono pres and suts. However, it's unlikely that readers will find your post buried in a VPI News thread relating to the VPI website's cartridge recommendations. The threads on pres and suts are most likely found under General Audio and Chat. You can also use the search feature to find them. I'd read those first, and, if you don't find what you're looking for, repost under General Audio. As an aside, I think your choice of a phono pre will have much more to do with your cartridge (which I don't believe you mention) than your table. Rich
Orchids1

Postby suntea » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:19 pm

[quote="Brf"]I am surprised not to see any Dynavector cartridges recommended especially considering the fact that VPI once sold a special edition of the 20xl series.[/quote]

Brf -Which Dynavector cartridges do you recommend? I'm in the market and curious as to your experience with these. I just broke my XX2 and can't decide which model to get next!! I liked the XX2 quite a bit but I'm wondering if I can pay less on another model.
suntea

Postby thegage » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:33 pm

When you say "break," what do you mean? You can get a Soundsmith retip for about $350.

John K.
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Postby Brf » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:36 pm

suntea wrote:
Brf wrote:I am surprised not to see any Dynavector cartridges recommended especially considering the fact that VPI once sold a special edition of the 20xl series.

Brf -Which Dynavector cartridges do you recommend? I'm in the market and curious as to your experience with these. I just broke my XX2 and can't decide which model to get next!! I liked the XX2 quite a bit but I'm wondering if I can pay less on another model.

I have both the Dynavector XV-1s and XX2 Mk2 and have owned the 20xl2. Although all sound very nice and with each move up in the line greater resolution and detail is obtained. By far (IMHO) the best value is the XX2 mk2! It gives you 95% of the xv-1s.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby suntea » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:16 pm

Brf wrote:
suntea wrote:
Brf wrote:I am surprised not to see any Dynavector cartridges recommended especially considering the fact that VPI once sold a special edition of the 20xl series.

I have both the Dynavector XV-1s and XX2 Mk2 and have owned the 20xl2. Although all sound very nice and with each move up in the line greater resolution and detail is obtained. By far (IMHO) the best value is the XX2 mk2! It gives you 95% of the xv-1s.

I just bought another XX2 MK2! Life is short.....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2, McIntosh 2300 Preamp, McIntosh MC402 Amp, McIntosh MVP861 disc player, Dali MS5 Speakers, REL Strata 3 woofer
suntea

Postby suntea » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:56 pm

Brf -Which Dynavector cartridges do you recommend? I'm in the market and curious as to your experience with these. I just broke my XX2 and can't decide which model to get next!! I liked the XX2 quite a bit but I'm wondering if I can pay less on another model.[/quote]

I have both the Dynavector XV-1s and XX2 Mk2 and have owned the 20xl2. Although all sound very nice and with each move up in the line greater resolution and detail is obtained. By far (IMHO) the best value is the XX2 mk2! It gives you 95% of the xv-1s.[/quote]
I just bought another XX2 MK2! Life is short.....[/quote]

Received the new XX2 today. Installed on the Classic 3 and sounding great! Looking forward to breaking it in. Love that punchy bass! Using the 160G tonearm weight and also a headshell weight. I found this made for the best sound during the 18 months I had my first XX2.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2, McIntosh 2300 Preamp, McIntosh MC402 Amp, McIntosh MVP861 disc player, Dali MS5 Speakers, REL Strata 3 woofer
suntea

Postby Billnugen » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:10 pm

Read thru the thread and was surprised not to see any mention about the Kiseki Purple Heart. I was told by my dealer that it is Harry's reference cart. I trusted him and ordered one. But had never heard it.

Any comments?

Also, does it have a cover for the needle? Anyone has used it?
Billnugen

Postby Brf » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:01 pm

Billnugen wrote:Read thru the thread and was surprised not to see any mention about the Kiseki Purple Heart. I was told by my dealer that it is Harry's reference cart. I trusted him and ordered one. But had never heard it.

Any comments?

Also, does it have a cover for the needle? Anyone has used it?

An Absolutely wonderful full body cartridge and yes it comes with a stylus cover. Below are some links to HW's comments

http://vpiindustries.com/forum/search.php?keywords=Kiseki&terms=all&author=Harry&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

http://vpiindustries.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7183&p=20398&hilit=Kiseki#p20398

http://vpiindustries.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6658&p=16371&hilit=Kiseki#p16371
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Billnugen » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:44 pm

Tks Brf.

Also Transfiguration Proteus with such brilliant specs like 0.2mv, 1ohm, 5N silver wiring, etc. But no one mentioned and not in the VPI cartridge recommendation list.

Wonder why?
Billnugen

Postby Brf » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:54 am

Billnugen wrote:Tks Brf.

Also Transfiguration Proteus with such brilliant specs like 0.2mv, 1ohm, 5N silver wiring, etc. But no one mentioned and not in the VPI cartridge recommendation list.

Wonder why?

There are quite a few cartridge that have not made it onto VPI's list. I believe that VPI has attempted to assemble a list of known cartridges that are commonly available through retail channels. VPI has gone on record stating that there list is by no means an extensive listing, but more of a sampling of numerous reported favorable results along with their own listening impressions.
Brf
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News