VPI Cartridge Recommendations

Re: VPI Cartridge Recommendations

Postby pbthal » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:28 am

I have had my Scoutmaster for almost 8 years, switched to a Trans-Fi Terminator in 2009. Had a flirtation with a Trans-Fi Salvation turntable in 2012 but went back to the Scoutmaster. My current setup now includes a thread driven single motor flywheel with the Phoenix Engineering Roadrunner and Eagle.

Anyway, I have used a Audio-Technica OC9 // AT150 MLX // AT33PTG // AT33PTG/II / Zyx Airy 3 // Zyx 4D // Ortofon A90 // Soundsmith Paua and to this day the AT33PTG and AT33PTG/II are the best sounding of ALL of them. I have probably done 3000+ recordings with this turntable and have the chance to compare each iteration. Folks should really look into the AT33 series
pbthal

Postby Jazzgene » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:39 pm

I pair a Grado Statement 1 with my Aries 3. I think it sounds great. Some tweaks using my ear are going with 500ohm load on a Sutherland PhD preamp. Vishay resistors really made a huge difference in sound compared to any old resistors. Also, no anti-skate gizmo, and one twist on the connect cable. Sounds best at 1.9g tracking.
Jazzgene

Postby vjsanaiz » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:34 pm

Any recommendations for the Traveler?
vjsanaiz

Postby BuddyO » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:39 pm

[quote="vjsanaiz"]Any recommendations for the Traveler?[/quote]

I'm very happy with the Ortofon Quintet Black on my Traveler.
Smooth, musical, and easy on surface noise.
BuddyO

Postby gagelle » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:52 pm

[quote="Mat"]Yeah that was an oversight :P Can I blame old age yet?[/quote]

Hi Mat,

The official word is that you can't blame old age until you qualify for a senior meal at "Denny's."
gagelle

Postby Mat » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:43 pm

Forgive me for getting the name wrong, but we just demoed an Ortofon Royal Naked? WOW! Reasonable, sweet and smooth as can be and just overall very surprising. Heard it for the first time at Hi-Fi Sales in Cherry Hill. Only downside, what a pain to set up!
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Jack Schiavi » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:01 pm

do you have any recommendations for phono preamps. (Specifically with the Classic )
Jack Schiavi

Postby dancinbert » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:20 am

I see that the Ortofon Cadenza Bronze is recommended for several turntables and not the Black, I'm using the Cadenza Black on my Prime and I'm loving it. It is my first MCC and it has fabulous sound. Can someone explain why the Bronz seem so much more preferred over the black. I don't know anywhere in Louisiana that I could go hear the comparrison of the Cadenza Black and Cadenza Bronz. Thanks for any input.
dancinbert

Postby MJB » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:36 pm

I have the Cadenza Black on my new Avenger and it sounds terrific. A dear friend who also has an Avenger but with the Cadenza Bronze loved listening to my system several weeks ago.
MJB

Postby suntea » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:33 am

[quote="Brf"]Mat, other than the link that you have provided in your original post, there is no way to navigate to the cartridge recommendation listing from the main VPI site.[/quote]
Which Dynavector cartridges do you recommend? I'm in the market and curious as to your experience with these. I just broke my XX2 and can't decide which model to get next!! I liked the XX2 quite a bit but I'm wondering if I can pay less on another model.
suntea

PreviousNext

Return to News