VPI Prime Setup Video

VPI Prime Setup Video

Postby Mat » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:21 am

We are very excited to have the Prime setup video finished and live!

Prime Setup Video

Also, excited to be back in Jersey (not really it is freezing here!) after a successful CES!
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Re: VPI Prime Setup Video

Postby Brf » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:05 pm

Great video, should answer a lot of questions from new and current owners.

One question..........40-weight motor oil for an inverted bearing???
Brf
Site Admin

Postby SubVet » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:50 pm

Yes great video indeed.

That 40 weight statement came as a surprise to me as well.
SubVet

Postby Pevo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:06 pm

I concur, great video. Three observations. First, some of the high speed scenes were a bit amusing/frightening with how fast the person was moving. Sure looked like disaster a few times, but in reality I'm sure it was anything but. I assume the sped up scenes were to save time and keep the plot moving. Second observation, the section that talked about setting tracking force, I was a little confused with the note on tracking force being too light (0.2 to 0.4 grams light if I recall correctly) if you didn't level the arm. Is the point you are compensating for the additional height of the tracking force gage? Or is this related to tracking force varying with vertical tracking angle? Third observation, no mention of what type of vertical tracking force gage to use, is the one shown included? Certainly not a Shure, but maybe I missed the change in suppliers.
Pevo

Postby Mat » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:24 pm

Hi everyone,

Yes, 40 weight motor oil can do the trick though there are other options that might be potentially better, we wanted to make sure to mention the choices that are easily available without having to by the "super duper deluxe turbo supreme oil" that cost $500. Also regarding your gauge, it can be a Shure gauge, or digital. HW always preferred a Shure gauge and we used to include one until supply costs drastically increased on us. We still include a digital scale but personally I like the Ortofon digital scale the best. Leveling the arm is very subjective but we recommend to ave it level to start so you can figure out how you personally like your sound as you go forward in your listening experience (which is much easier with a VTA dial like on your Prime rather than a standard Scout or Classic). With the tracking force, you have to keep in mind that when you set it you're doing it without the record being on so it has a slight impact, but also remember that this point goes into the finer side of set up and determines whether you are spending 15 minutes dialing in your system or 5 hours dialing in your system.
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby macster » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:38 pm

[quote="Mat"]Hi everyone,

Yes, 40 weight motor oil can do the trick though there are other options that might be potentially better, we wanted to make sure to mention the choices that are easily available without having to by the "super duper deluxe turbo supreme oil" that cost $500. Also regarding your gauge, it can be a Shure gauge, or digital. HW always preferred a Shure gauge and we used to include one until supply costs drastically increased on us. We still include a digital scale but personally I like the Ortofon digital scale the best. Leveling the arm is very subjective but we recommend to ave it level to start so you can figure out how you personally like your sound as you go forward in your listening experience (which is much easier with a VTA dial like on your Prime rather than a standard Scout or Classic). With the tracking force, you have to keep in mind that when you set it you're doing it without the record being on so it has a slight impact, but also remember that this point goes into the finer side of set up and determines whether you are spending 15 minutes dialing in your system or 5 hours dialing in your system.[/quote]

Excellent advice. The Shure gauge is a no brainer!

M~
macster

Postby Brf » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:24 pm

Personally, I would not use 40-weight oil on a bearing that does not employ an oil sump, or is not in a closed self contain system. The only way that 40-weight oil will work on an inverted bearing is if the bearing does not leak under operating or static conditions. For that not to happen, the bearing tolerance must be such that the “path” is small enough, or the “path” length is long enough, so that the oil cannot “flow”.

I am of the opinion that the force of gravity (pressure) and a 40-weight viscosity, coupled with VPI’s bearing tolerance, will cause the motor oil to flow away from the bearing contact point, therefore, a higher viscosity solution must be employed.

For this reason, I use a synthetic grease impregnated with PTFE (synthetic grease is less prone to breakdown and/or drying out) which has a high enough viscosity rating that will prevent the grease from “flowing” away from the contact points.

White lithium based grease with PTFE is inexpensive and by no ways "exotic".
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Mat » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Agreed!
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby tunedup » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:20 pm

Great videos! I liked both and I liked the speeded up action although it 'looks' scary sometimes.I have a Scoutmaster with the JMW-9 Signature arm. Each time I install a new cartridge, I obsess over tracing angle and azimuth. (I don't have any electronic tools for testing). One item that occurred to me about the Prime set up of Azimuth is the accuracy of just a visual. I try to measure the height of the rod or straw on each side of the tonearm for a closer level. However, level on the bare plater as in the video is not the same as 'level' on a record using the rubber center and the screw on clamp. The middle of the record is higher than the edge. A bubble level will show this. The difference looks to be about 1/32-1/16 of an inch. If I listen the Michael Fremer that would be a lot!
tunedup

Postby jlw2000 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:34 am

Ahh-haa! I feel like an idiot. I have a new Classic with the updated bearing spike from the prime and I've left the 'protective cover' on. I wasn't sure what to make of it!
jlw2000

Next

Return to News