VPI Prime Setup Video

Re: VPI Prime Setup Video

Postby jlw2000 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:41 pm

[quote="jlw2000"]Ahh-haa! I feel like an idiot. I have a new Classic with the updated bearing spike from the prime and I've left the 'protective cover' on. I wasn't sure what to make of it![/quote]

P.S. it does seem somewhat hesitant to removal so I didn't tug at it very aggressively. I'll just yank it off.

So... no more dampening fluid well on the classics??
jlw2000

Postby Mat » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:11 pm

Son't worry, I almost forgot to take that cover off when we shot our professional shots! :P

We have removed the dampening well from all tables because eventually the next step is to upgrade to the 3D arm. The 3D arm is too dampened with the the fluid it is like drinking a big ol milkshake while listening to your music!
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby tony22 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:58 am

Mat, based on the arms I got from HW and the "finger tap" testing I did, it seems like the 3D arm is significantly more damped than any of the others - even the black wanded shrink wrap arm. Do you concur?
tony22

Postby Mat » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:19 am

The 3D arm is so dead that as soon as it is cost effective enough to do so I'm making the 3D arm the standard for all our uni pivots (now don't let that comment hold anyone back on a current model becuase the standard is still an award winning killer arm AND we are years away from getting to that point).
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby tony22 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:56 am

Interesting! And I can see where it makes good business sense to streamline parts and inventory costs. But you may want to consider keeping one metal arm around (don't ask me which one - someone should create a Wiki and post pictures and descriptions of all the variations of metal VPI arms!). There are some carts, I think, that may need some of what the right metal arm can add to the mix. That's one of the things I love about what VPI can offer.
tony22

Postby PH1303 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:08 am

Mat, when you said HW always preferred a Shure gauge, do you mean the Shure balanced beam gauge of yore? If so, this is not anywhere in the scope of a precision instrument!. The gauge you supply with my Classic 3 Sig. SE, has a shelf height that surpasses a 180 gran lp, which is an issue I proposed in another forum. This is an important issue to address, in my view.
PH1303

Postby PH1303 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:53 am

BTW: there's (no) replacement for a (well written manual)!
PH1303

Postby Buck115 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:12 pm

PH1303: I had the same problem with the digital scale that VPI provided with my Classic 1. After tiring from using some of the adaptive platforms that I created for using the scale just off of the platter, but at the height of a record, I removed the four felt pads that were affixed to the bottom at each corner of the scale. That allowed the scale to sit on the bare platter and the weighing platform was very close to the height of a record.

You might not want to try this at home!!!!!! :) What I also noticed was that the weighing platform was not level, but angled upwards. I then used an electronics vise to hold the platform area and was able to level it with the platter surface. However, for this adjustment, you have to make sure you have the right fixtures and not put any pressure on the scale itself, just the metal platform affixed to the scale. My scale now works perfectly for setting VTF at record height while sitting on a bare platter. And, using the coin weights that BRF listed as reference weights, the scale still weighs them correctly, so, apparently, I didn't destroy its precision!
Buck115

Postby PH1303 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:47 am

Buck115: I will say that my Mapleshade scale is very accurate. This is based on my experience with various scales and hours of listening. The platform height, more closely resembles the height of a 180 gram lp. (Of coarse this is only an issue when reviewing different scales), (You only need a "reference/record height" for a scale to be usable!) The VPI supplied scale, should represent a record height we normally use on a regular basis. This is not the case. Still, there is no written way, no supplied calibrating weight to have any sort of way to make this scale as a usable reference! There are a lot of issues that seemingly need to be worked out still, regarding VPI's manual, supplied set-up tools ,etc.. Sorry to have to say this at this point in the company's history. I read on another post by Mat that Harry likes the Shure tracking force gauge??? Go figure?
PH1303

Postby Johnny » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:44 am

[quote="PH1303"]Mat, when you said HW always preferred a Shure gauge, do you mean the Shure balanced beam gauge of yore? If so, this is not anywhere in the scope of a precision instrument!. The gauge you supply with my Classic 3 Sig. SE, has a shelf height that surpasses a 180 gran lp, which is an issue I proposed in another forum. This is an important issue to address, in my view.[/quote]

Why is having the scale above the height of a 180g record important? As long is the scale height is consistent, you will get a consistent measure.
Johnny

Previous

Return to News